Should I join a non productive research lab that aligns with my interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After dozens of cold emails these past few months, I finally found a research lab that is in line with my current interests. I have been in two different labs, one of which I was recently published as a co author in for a high impact journal, but am no longer part of because the project lost funding -- but, neither of these labs align directly with the research I am interested in right now. I currently have an offer to join this new lab that is doing research I am genuinely passionate about, however there are a few concerns. First, I will not be listed as a co author on any publications because the PI does not want to put undergrads on papers. Second, it's not guaranteed that I will have an independent project to present any posters at any conferences (senior thesis not guaranteed) due to budgeting restrictions, which has been something I have been hoping to do. Lastly, I'm not too sure about the strength of the mentorship at this lab based on my initial conversation with the PhD student I will be working under. I am expected to work part time here for at least a year. Should I join this lab?
 
OP: you already have 1 co-authored peer reviewed? paper in your pocket even in an area that doesn't interest you. Now you found a lab that will take you but "deny" you any benefits of authorship or presentation. (Something tells me this PI is actively trying to push away premeds.) How strong do you think a letter of rec from this PI be if you accepted? If you do not see your growth goals met in this experience, you can refuse and continue searching until you find a PI that will mentor you.