Should I join AMSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wondergirl3

I go to a large state school with a lot of premeds, and almost every single one of them is in AMSA

Does entry in this club (as a member who does community service, and not a leadership position) impact medical school admissions chances?
Does it show that they are more interested in becoming a physician?

I personally don't like the club because it's filled with every premed possible and don't feel like it's useful. Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
wondergirl3

Members don't see this ad.

I never joined AMSA for similar reasons. I think you'll be just fine.

My current research position of 3 years came from a program I applied to within AMSA.

This varies drastically by school and specific organization, but sometimes these clubs can open up great opportunities. I wasn't in AMSA but there was a bigger pre-med group at my undergrad, and I made great connections through that club. Also held various leadership positions for 3 years, and this was actual contributing leadership, not just a title. But then AMSA at my school was kind of a joke. Scope it out, see what they offer. Just know that just being a member of AMSA and doing a service project here and there really means nothing. Contribute via leadership, go to conferences if possible, network, make connections at the med school (if your school has a med school and the AMSA chapters communicate), take advantage of shadowing opportunities, etc.