Should I join an honors program at my community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakhter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking only one honors class at the moment but my biology professor strongly recommends that I join the entire program. Will it make a difference on admissions into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

No. There is way too many variables going on in this whole process and I would only join an Honors program if it brought some scholarship(s) into play for you otherwise I would focus more on grades, EC's etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking only one honors class at the moment but my biology professor strongly recommends that I join the entire program. Will it make a difference on admissions into medical school?

No it will not. Honors programs are generally a waste of time. Graduating with honors is also a worthless designation UNLESS you have to do some sort of published thesis. Medical schools care about the accomplishments, not the titles.

Is your sole purpose for attending college to be admitted to medical school? If so, then do what most of the others are telling you. However, if you are going to college in order to get a great education that will enhance the quality of all facets of your life, then you will grab every opportunity placed in front of you.

Honestly, normally I would say no, definetely don't bother.

BUT some committee's have a bias against community college, in which case joining an honors program could offset that. Anyone else agree with that?

Honestly, normally I would say no, definetely don't bother.

BUT some committee's have a bias against community college, in which case joining an honors program could offset that. Anyone else agree with that?

No I do not agree. What would offset the stigma admissions could have is going to a 4-year and completely smokin' the rest of one's courses and getting some good letters of recommendation. Couple that with a great MCAT score and that's what will help get the shoe in so EC's and the rest can be put into play. Obviously this is very dependent on the tier of the school and how they view 2 year schools.