should i just give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've already been accepted and put down a deposit for ICO. however, UHCO is still my first choice. i submitted my app back in september and havent heard anything. i began calling the school constantly last month trying to get a hold of dr. shulman, and roger boykins. I was probably calling about 3x a week for 2 weeks. Mr. boykins finally called me back and basically said i was calling too much and i would start "pissing" people off. yes.. his exact words. "pissing people off". just goes to show you how professional the adminstration is there. anyway, i told him i just wanted to know what was going on with my app because its almost may and i havent heard anything. he tells me to keep waiting because my app is so borderline, but i really need to know where i'll be for the next four years so i can start moving and putting down a deposit for an apartment. at this point, i dont even know if i want to go to UHCO... has anyone received any interview invites lately? i just really wish i could have an answer so i can start making moving plans.

Members don't see this ad.

hey Eyed, check your messages..i just PM'ed you.

Members don't see this ad :)
it kind of bothers me that an admissions office has a low tolerance for getting phone calls about being admitted or not.

It's almost May.. Geesh.

Don't know what they would do if they had to work at McDonalds, Walmart, etc.... I'd rather deal with eager students than irate customers.

So i've already been accepted and put down a deposit for ICO. however, UHCO is still my first choice. i submitted my app back in september and havent heard anything. i began calling the school constantly last month trying to get a hold of dr. shulman, and roger boykins. I was probably calling about 3x a week for 2 weeks. Mr. boykins finally called me back and basically said i was calling too much and i would start "pissing" people off. yes.. his exact words. "pissing people off". just goes to show you how professional the adminstration is there. anyway, i told him i just wanted to know what was going on with my app because its almost may and i havent heard anything. he tells me to keep waiting because my app is so borderline, but i really need to know where i'll be for the next four years so i can start moving and putting down a deposit for an apartment. at this point, i dont even know if i want to go to UHCO... has anyone received any interview invites lately? i just really wish i could have an answer so i can start making moving plans.

I would probably just go with ICO.

If you've been left with a bad taste in your mouth by UHCO, your best bet is to make the decision that ICO it is, and I guarantee that you'll never look back.

Part of the problem here is that UHCO has become for you almost like the grapes in the mythical story of Tantalus. The closer it gets, the more you idealize that scenario and you end up building up a fantasy in your own mind that UHCO must be this truly magical, wonderful place.

That's obviously not true. So at this stage of the game, put UHCO out of your mind and move on with ICO and if you get accepted at UHCO, you can turn THEM down and if you don't, then who the hell cares? You've already moved on.

The greatest challenge in life is change. Embrace it and accept ICO. I think if UHCO was interested you would've been invited for an interview already.

Side note; I know someone that was just interviewed on friday and accepted same day. I think it is time to move on and be positive. This will give you an opportunity to get prepare and start the beginning of the next 4 years.

Last edited:

Well, calling three times a week, I think, is a bit much, but it's also queer for an administrator to tell you you're risking "pissing people off" (of course, I don't know how he said it, and I'll not be very finitely critical based just on this).

As for your actual concern, it's now mid-April; as far as I know, most schools have stopped interviewing, or they'll do so by May. You say you've paid your deposit for matriculation at I.C.O., so, your seat is secure. If you were sitting around wondering whether to put down this amount, I could understand your worry, but, as it is, just try to relax for the next couple of weeks. If you don't hear from U.H.C.O. by early May, call a couple of times, and if you get no response, consider you've been rejected.

As for housing, have you begun looking? With I.C.O., if you're staying at the Residential Complex, your search and work are over; if you want to live elsewhere, just begin exploring — I'm sure you can wait until May to complete the paperwork. About housing around U.H.C.O., I believe you noted in another thread you live in the area. Just start looking around, now, and, again, don't sign anything until you're certain of things.

It's true, without an actual rejection, you "never know": as a candidate on hold, you could be informed in July that a seat's become available and you may join the class. You indicate, though, you've not yet been invited for an interview; is this correct? If so, not hearing back in the next couple of weeks almost assures you won't get in; if not — if you have been wait-listed — you might fall into this group of people who're notified very late of their acceptance.

thanks for the input everyone. as far as the calling was concerned i would always only be able to get thru with debbie and it would be the same thing everytime "hi, is Dr. Shulman available? i'd like to talk to him about my application" and she would respond with "i will leave your file on his desk. he's very busy, but should call u back with tomorrow". as far as roger boykins is concerned.. i left him two voicemails bc he was out of the office for 2 weeks and failed to mention that in his voicemail like most would normally do. the reason i would prefer to stay in houston is because 1. im from there.. i can live at home 2. all my friends and family are there 3. its 10K cheaper a year than ICO.

i know they go by AI scores and mine is 650... my gpa is a 3.09 so if they round then my AI would be 660.

Heyy!

Another option is to wait a year and reapply for the next cycle, that is if you absolutely ONLY want to be at UHCO. But I agree with the above posters, it may be best to move on, especially if UHCO is giving you such horrible attitude. You got accepted to ICO!! That's great! Go there! :)