Should I just Wait??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with my bachelor's in May, and was going to take this coming school year (2014-15) of to improve some of my PT school pre-req grades. I've been interning at a PT clinic all summer, and one of of the PTs specializes in foot/ankle rehab, so that's kind of how I became interested in podiatry. I decided I wanted to apply to both PT and pod school, since I'd only have to take o-chem to have all the pod school pre-reqs. My issues is timing...I'm taking o-chem in the fall and spring, and don't want to take the MCAT before I've taken those. However, waiting that long to take the mcat and submitting my application, I feel like I'll have basically no chance at getting in anywhere. Would it be better for me to not apply this cycle, take my o-chems, and give myself more mcat study time, and then apply next august (2015)??

Members don't see this ad.

yes.

this following year get some more advanced bio/rest of pre reqs.
then take the MCAT the following summer (2015) or early Fall.
then apply.

BUT be prepared because the 2015 MCAT will have biochem/physio/psych on it so it'll be quite a bit tougher than it is for remainder of the year.

Have you taken Biochem or Physiology yet? Asking because most degrees that don't require Orgo tend to not require Biochem or Physio. Before 2015 those two courses wouldn't add or decrease value from your actual application, but come 2015 those two will be added to a big chunk of the MCAT. Originally the MCAT's biological section consisted of the biology info you would learn in gen bio, but now it will consist of biochem and physiology as well.

I say this because most of my friends that were pre-PT students at MSU were majoring in Kinesiology and they did not have a single course in Biochem or Physiology. If you were to wait till you completed both Orgo 1&2 to take the MCAT, so lets say mid May you would be cutting it to the deadline very near, which was June 30th this year (since the MCAT takes 30 days from test day to receive your score). The Orgo section currently on the MCAT is just 25% of the Biological science section and if you had just Orgo 1 you may be good enough. You can always get the Kaplan or Princeton Review books and be one step ahead of your class.

Just remember that it may suck being the 23 year old college grad that is a year out of college who is just trying to get accepted to a grad school. Keep getting the experience with the PT clinic so if you would rather go down that route you have all that experience on your resume. I have two friends who got rejected from PT school their first year out of college. Both don't have amazing GPAs (but probably 3.3), both were Kinesiology major grads at MSU. One friend is still working at a PT clinic and probably has a good chance at getting in for the 2015 cycle. But the other friend has been working as a waitress since graduating in May 2013 and has shown the admissions committees no reason for why she is driven to have the ambition to become a PT.

Last edited: