Just graduated. Still need to study for and take MCAT. Can I still apply for the 2020 cycle or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FailedPreMedStudent

Reaction score
I just finished my undergrad degree and graduated. I still need to get LORs, shadow more podiatry, study for and take the MCAT, etc.

Do I have enough time to do this to be able to apply before the June 2020 deadline?

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely doable! I would start by getting your LORs requests out to your professors ASAP as this can take a lot of time (and some harassing kind of :/) to get back. Follow up with them after about 30 days if they haven't gotten back to you. Let them know that you are applying for this application cycle so they don't take forever.

I would also sign up for March 14th MCAT asap so you have a seat at a somewhere nearby testing center. Since you don't have much room to play with, really study hard and take it strong your first time.

Next, submit the AACPMAS application to all your schools with your future MCAT date on it so the school's know you are going to take it soon. Some schools may interview you before the MCAT comes back. Temple, NYCPM, and Barry are known to do that a lot. Some schools such as Scholl will not interview you until the MCAT AND a podiatry letter of recommendation is in your file. Make sure all your transcripts come in, in a timely fashion so that your application can be reviewed and sent to schools fast. After your AACPMAS app is verified, expect to hear from schools FAST. I heard back (even with no MCAT) from NYCPM within a day, Barry within a few hours.

Make sure you sign up for more podiatry shadowing and lock in a LOR from that podiatrist so you can give it to your schools.

Some of my current first year Scholl classmates didn't submit their app until late May/June, so you are still "early."

Kill the interview, the MCAT, and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input but I definitely need like 3-4 months of studying for MCAT. March is way too early for me.

You can try the last exam in April. Have everything else submitted and verified on AACPMAS.
You can make it, but don't rush the process...take all the time you need to do well on the MCAT!

Btw, how are your GPAs?