Should I just wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilwebb09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...I was just wondering what you guys thought. I am a Junior wanting to apply for the 2008 cycle but don't know if I should. I have only taken the basic pre-reqs for most schools and pretty much no upper level biology courses at all. I have an overall GPA of 3.2 and a science GPA of 3.4 which I know is kinda low and I guess average DAT scores of 17/17/18. I don't think this matters much. Should I try with this cycle or just wait and try to take 2 or 3 upper level biology courses?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't stand an ounce of a chance unless you finish all of the prereqs.

Pre-reqs don't need to be finished before you apply, only before you matriculate.

Your minority status most likely benefit your application at some schools simply from a diversity standpoint, but I would still recommend retaking the DAT to further increase your odds.

Engineering is a rough major, and your GPA really isn't that bad. From what I gather, it sounds like you have finished all the pre-reqs for most schools but haven't taken any recommended courses like histo, physio, anatomy and so forth. Some schools are increasing their pre-req list as well, so I would check with the schools you are interested in to make sure you can even finish any school-specific pre-reqs in a year.

Apply this cycle, schedule a few upper division courses for next semester, and retake the DAT.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey...I was just wondering what you guys thought. I am a Junior Engineering wanting to apply for the 2008 cycle but don't know if I should. I have only taken the basic pre-reqs for most schools and pretty much no upper level biology courses at all because of all the engineering classes I have. I have an overall GPA of 3.2 and a science GPA of 3.4 which I know is kinda low and I guess average DAT scores of 17/17/18. I don't think this matters much, but I'll throw it out there, I am a black female. Should I try with this cycle or just wait and try to take 2 or 3 upper level biology courses?

Thanks

Scratch what everyone is telling you lilweb!! You have a great chance of getting accepted. First, you are an engineering major, which is the top accepted major according to the ADA. Secondly, your gpa is not that bad. Keep in mind that the SDN covers only approx. 17-21% of the application pool in the country. Furthermore, many of the SDN members are a bunch of overachievers and do not believe a sub 3.5 gpa applicant. Do not let anyone on here dictate your chances of getting into dental school. Call the schools yourself and determine which one's are big on applicants such as yourself. Third, your potential DAT scores are okay, but you may want to push for minimum 18s across the board. This will guarantee you an interview.. Trust me!! And lastly, you're a minority!!!! 'Nough Said!!!!

If you'd like any additional information, pm me!!!

Marion

Pre-Dent - if you read my post, I didn't say don't apply because you have no chance in the world. I said the

Well said.... I agree with you!! My bad for the misunderstanding!!

Marion