Should I keep trying? :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The REAL Doc McStuffins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future doctors! I’ve been secretly viewing posts on SDN since middle school and this is my first post lol. I’m an upcoming senior pre-med at a top 13 public university. So far I have taken Gen chem one and two, bio one and two, anatomy and physiology one, microbiology, precalculus, Calc one, statistics, and I’m currently taking OCHEM one in the summer. I still have to take physics, biochemistry and the second half of OCHEM. The reason for my post is because I’m trying to determine whether or not it would be realistic for me to keep going on my pre-med journey. My science GPA is.... get ready... a 3.05 (overall GPA: 3.43). I know that this is very low and for some reason, I just keep getting B’s. I’ve tried VERY hard to get A’s but I never do. I had to retake Gen chem I because I got a C- , but on the retake I got an A. I had to withdraw from Gen chem II but when I retook it I got an A. I, unfortunately, had to withdraw from physics this past fall as well and I know that’s terrible! I’m a URM, Nigerian American female and I understand that URM status might help a little, but I’m afraid I would be wasting money applying to medical school when I don’t have a chance. I am open to DO schools and I do definitely plan on applying to Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard as well. I’m in OCHEM right now and I completely bombed my first exam and idk if I will withdraw or not. What do you guys think I should do? Becoming a physician has always been my dream, but I’m not the best at science, so I’m afraid I’ll never achieve my goal. Should I apply or just quit? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You certainly have potential to repair that GPA if you want to invest the time and money needed to do so. GPA as is combined with a strong MCAT could net you a few DO acceptances, but MD is unlikely. You will definitely need to do some grade repair, whether it is post-bacc or a Masters Program. Considering how many W's you have it may be a more viable option to withdraw from OChem and take it in the fall. In short there is hope but it will take work. I will let more seasoned experts take over, but I wish you luck.

You may find this thread helpful:

Reactions: 3 users
Hello future doctors! I’ve been secretly viewing posts on SDN since middle school and this is my first post lol. I’m an upcoming senior pre-med at a top 13 public university. So far I have taken Gen chem one and two, bio one and two, anatomy and physiology one, microbiology, precalculus, Calc one, statistics, and I’m currently taking OCHEM one in the summer. I still have to take physics, biochemistry and the second half of OCHEM. The reason for my post is because I’m trying to determine whether or not it would be realistic for me to keep going on my pre-med journey. My science GPA is.... get ready... a 3.05 (overall GPA: 3.43). I know that this is very low and for some reason, I just keep getting B’s. I’ve tried VERY hard to get A’s but I never do. I had to retake Gen chem I because I got a C- , but on the retake I got an A. I had to withdraw from Gen chem II but when I retook it I got an A. I, unfortunately, had to withdraw from physics this past fall as well and I know that’s terrible! I’m a URM, Nigerian American female and I understand that URM status might help a little, but I’m afraid I would be wasting money applying to medical school when I don’t have a chance. I am open to DO schools and I do definitely plan on applying to Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard as well. I’m in OCHEM right now and I completely bombed my first exam and idk if I will withdraw or not. What do you guys think I should do? Becoming a physician has always been my dream, but I’m not the best at science, so I’m afraid I’ll never achieve my goal. Should I apply or just quit? Thanks!
You should try as hard as you want to when it really comes down to it.

If you really want to get into medical school I think it's possible but you will need to fix that GPA. I recommend this thread to help get you towards reinvention:

I think it would be unwise to apply now if that's what you were asking. URM status only helps you so much.

For the time being, fix your GPA with a post-bacc if you can afford it, then work on your MCAT, and only after getting your MCAT practice exams to your target score take the MCAT, and then think about applying. You should work on ECs between now and then. This process will take at least a year.

Good luck! And feel free to DM if you need anything

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You certainly have potential to repair that GPA if you want to invest the time and money needed to do so. GPA as is combined with a strong MCAT could net you a few DO acceptances, but MD is unlikely. You will definitely need to do some grade repair, whether it is post-bacc or a Masters Program. Considering how many W's you have it may be a more viable option to withdraw from OChem and take it in the fall. In short there is hope but it will take work. I will let more seasoned experts take over, but I wish you luck.

You may find this thread helpful:
Thank you for your advice!

Reactions: 1 user
You should try as hard as you want to when it really comes down to it.

If you really want to get into medical school I think it's possible but you will need to fix that GPA. I recommend this thread to help get you towards reinvention:

I think it would be unwise to apply now if that's what you were asking. URM status only helps you so much.

For the time being, fix your GPA with a post-bacc if you can afford it, then work on your MCAT, and only after getting your MCAT practice exams to your target score take the MCAT, and then think about applying. You should work on ECs between now and then. This process will take at least a year.

Good luck! And feel free to DM if you need anything
Thank you! I agree completely!

“Becoming a physician has always been my dream, but I’m not the best at science”

You will have to find a way to get better at science because they will hit you with everything between MCAT/M1/M2/USMLE etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I think that the URM status could definitely be the clincher. I think that if you can do well on the MCAT, it changes the whole situation and that you could at the very least get in to DO.

If you had no special circumstance, then at the very least crushing the MCAT and likely a post-bacc would be necessary. I would also start thinking about what AMCAS activities you would like to choose to talk about, there being a max of 15 on the application.

Well the average black D.O. matriculant has an overall GPA of 3.34 +/- 0.30 (SD), and science GPA of 3.19 +/- 0.38 (SD). So your GPA alone would not put you out of the running. If you get a competitive MCAT score and have an otherwise competitive application, I do think that you could get in somewhere.

I also agree with other folks that you need to improve your study habits and test taking skills to avoid "bombing" any more tests. Tests don't get easier in med school, residency, and beyond. Good luck!

I am not sure that you are counted as URM, being African not always equals to being URM, though I might be wrong.
Anyway, I believe you can do it. Probably you will ned to do some postbac or SMP, 3.43 is not that bad, seems that you just need to push a bit harder. Try to get your sGPA to 3.3 and you should be fine for DO school especially with upward trend. Good luck!

I am not sure that you are counted as URM, being African not always equals to being URM, though I might be wrong.
Anyway, I believe you can do it. Probably you will ned to do some postbac or SMP, 3.43 is not that bad, seems that you just need to push a bit harder. Try to get your sGPA to 3.3 and you should be fine for DO school especially with upward trend. Good luck!
To second, from my own experience with friends in this process, if you are a Nigerian who came to America for HS/college, you would most likely not be considered URM, but international (which is bad, and you would have to do drastic things to change your GPA/kill MCAT). However, if you are just clarifying your culture as to show your unique experiences growing up in America, I think it could make for some powerful essays! Best of luck with your journey :).

The definition of what fits "URM" is determined by each school. Just because the URM box is checked by an applicant doesn't automatically mean that they get considered as such by the schools. The goal of the URM designation is the identify students who are more likely to work with disadvantaged patient populations in the future (blacks, hispanics, LGBT, etc), so it is partially also influenced by an applicant's ECs and demonstrated interests.

You are right that not all people whose ancestors lived in Africa are considered URM; for example, someone with predominantly white European ancestry. However, I'm assuming that's not the situation in the OP's case given her interest in Morehouse & co (schools that historically have valued service towards the black community).

To second, from my own experience with friends in this process, if you are a Nigerian who came to America for HS/college, you would most likely not be considered URM, but international (which is bad, and you would have to do drastic things to change your GPA/kill MCAT). However, if you are just clarifying your culture as to show your unique experiences growing up in America, I think it could make for some powerful essays! Best of luck with your journey :).
Since she self-identified as a Nigerian-American, my assumption is that she's a US citizen. If so, she would not be seen as an international student.

Last edited:

First off, get thee to your school's education or learning center for help with learning styles, time mgt, test taking skills, ect.

Read this:

“Becoming a physician has always been my dream, but I’m not the best at science”

You will have to find a way to get better at science because they will hit you with everything between MCAT/M1/M2/USMLE etc.
That’s very true. I’ll try my best lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the average black D.O. matriculant has an overall GPA of 3.34 +/- 0.30 (SD), and science GPA of 3.19 +/- 0.38 (SD). So your GPA alone would not put you out of the running. If you get a competitive MCAT score and have an otherwise competitive application, I do think that you could get in somewhere.

I also agree with other folks that you need to improve your study habits and test taking skills to avoid "bombing" any more tests. Tests don't get easier in med school, residency, and beyond. Good luck!
Thank you!

Does your school grade just A/B/C or is it A/A-/B+/B, etc. or some other scheme?

Concur with the recommendation that you get some help from resources at the school.
Have you joined a study group for any of your classes? Do you use resources outside of classes such ANKI or Kahn Academy videos?

When are you planning to take the MCAT ? When do you plan to apply ?
Honestly, I plan on taking it when I finish my pre-reqs, which will be next summer. I’ll most likely have to take two gap years. So I’ll apply in 2021 hopefully.

Does your school grade just A/B/C or is it A/A-/B+/B, etc. or some other scheme?

Concur with the recommendation that you get some help from resources at the school.
Have you joined a study group for any of your classes? Do you use resources outside of classes such ANKI or Kahn Academy videos?
My school does use the +/- scheme. And yeah I just started going to tutoring for OCHEM but I’m probably not working as hard as I should be. I recently heard about ANKI so I may give it a try.

I was born and raised in the United States. I’m a first generation American lol

Gen chem / O chem / Physics have been literally useless to me in M1 / M2 / USMLE.

Biochem & Genetics = more high yield but tbh micro is where the money is at. Yeah maybe if you were good at chem then pharmacology would come easier to you, but that's what sketchy pharm is for.

Don't let the gunners tell you that undergrad science matters at all in med school b/c it doesn't. Not even a little.

Your status as a black female will get you into med school. Case closed. Now go focus on passing those ridiculous and irrelevant weed-out undergrad classes.

The definition of what fits "URM" is determined by each school. Just because the URM box is checked by an applicant doesn't automatically mean that they get considered as such by the schools. The goal of the URM designation is the identify students who are more likely to work with disadvantaged patient populations in the future (blacks, hispanics, LGBT, etc), so it is partially also influenced by an applicant's ECs and demonstrated interests.

You are right that not all people whose ancestors lived in Africa are considered URM; for example, someone with predominantly white European ancestry. However, I'm assuming that's not the situation in the OP's case given her interest in Morehouse & co (schools that historically have valued service towards the black community).

Since she self-identified as a Nigerian-American, my assumption is that she's a US citizen. If so, she would not be seen as an international student.
Thank you! And yes I grew up in the United States.

Gen chem / O chem / Physics have been literally useless to me in M1 / M2 / USMLE.

Biochem & Genetics = more high yield but tbh micro is where the money is at. Yeah maybe if you were good at chem then pharmacology would come easier to you, but that's what sketchy pharm is for.

Don't let the gunners tell you that undergrad science matters at all in med school b/c it doesn't. Not even a little.

Your status as a black female will get you into med school. Case closed. Now go focus on passing those ridiculous and irrelevant weed-out undergrad classes.
Thank you, Dr. Rafiki!

Honestly, I plan on taking it when I finish my pre-reqs, which will be next summer. I’ll most likely have to take two gap years. So I’ll apply in 2021 hopefully.
If your sGPA and cGPA are at the same level as they are now or higher and you score at least 500 on the MCAT then you would be competitive for many DO schools and some MD schools.

If you aren’t doing well in your summer class(like an A) drop it now. It’s better to have a W than another low grade. Ws , while not good, don’t average into your GPA. You need to get all As from now on to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. So far you have t done that.
How are you doing on your ECs? Nobody can answer your question about quitting but you. But you won’t be ready to apply for at least a couple of years so you do have time. As irrelevant as one of the posters in this thread thinks the prereqs are, you have to do well in them or you won’t be going to med school. Another C in a science class and your sGPA will probably be below 3.0.

If you aren’t doing well in your summer class(like an A) drop it now. It’s better to have a W than another low grade. Ws , while not good, don’t average into your GPA. You need to get all As from now on to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. So far you have t done that.
How are you doing on your ECs? Nobody can answer your question about quitting but you. But you won’t be ready to apply for at least a couple of years so you do have time. As irrelevant as one of the posters in this thread thinks the prereqs are, you have to do well in them or you won’t be going to med school. Another C in a science class and your sGPA will probably be below 3.0.
Yeah I might have to withdraw :/

Since you already bombed your 1st orgo exam, not sure how much you can do to get high grade giving summer orgo is on accelerated schedule (6 weeks?). To become a competitive applicant, your goal is NOT just "pass" the pre-med classes.

Work hard in orgo does not equate to getting A. You need to understand the concept, do tons of practices to get the hang of it. You need to go to tutoring center, or even better hire a good orgo tutor. If you can't get A (or B) in summer orgo, plan to drop it (or w) then re-take it in Fall.

You need to get into a bridge program. If you’re at a top public university and if your university has a med school on campus there should be a summer program that is essentially the first year courses for med school and it’s designed for URMs. if completed in good standing it will significantly shadow your gpa.

If not try to get into a bridge/masters program that is affiliated strongly to a medical school. There are plenty of these. I received two invitations to master programs that if completed (under their stipulations) I get a seat in the next years class. I got it from Ohio state and western Michigan’s medical schools. I turned them down since I already had acceptances but the point is there are many pipeline programs you should look into. That being said you need to tilt the seesaw and get a higher mcat (508+)

You need to get into a bridge program. If you’re at a top public university and if your university has a med school on campus there should be a summer program that is essentially the first year courses for med school and it’s designed for URMs. if completed in good standing it will significantly shadow your gpa.

If not try to get into a bridge/masters program that is affiliated strongly to a medical school. There are plenty of these. I received two invitations to master programs that if completed (under their stipulations) I get a seat in the next years class. I got it from Ohio state and western Michigan’s medical schools. I turned them down since I already had acceptances but the point is there are many pipeline programs you should look into. That being said you need to tilt the seesaw and get a higher mcat (508+)
For an SMP you have to complete all the pre-reqs before applying right?

For an SMP you have to complete all the pre-reqs before applying right?
I believe so. I’m not entirely sure what you need since I never did it, but others on here should be able to expand on them. Also, On the website for whatever you school you wish to apply to will in detail state what the requirements are