Should I major in Biology or Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EpicDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school student looking to eventually go into the dental/ortho field. I know that you can major in anything, but what do you feel better prepares you for the future in dentistry & DAT's? Biology or chemistry?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Bio b/c I think the upper level classes are more relevant. Plus chem is generally harder for most people.

Bio, because it will help you in so many ways!

Members don't see this ad :)
The schools say you can major in anything for a good reason: all schools have a set of prerequisites that you need to fulfill, no matter what your major is. In that sense, you're equally prepared for dental school. However, your course load in college becomes "easier" if you're some sort of biology, chemistry, or biochemistry major, because you are satisfying prerequisites at the same time as you are satisfying graduation requirements. Depending on when you take those classes, the prerequisites should also give you a good foundation for DAT preparation.

I would say it depends on what your undergrad offers. But between the two the op posted I would say Bioc :)

Bio, def. Def. take some anatomy classes during undergrad. it will help you alot when u enter dental school. anatomy seems to be the hardest thing at my school right now for most people.

my major is biochemistry and molecular biology. you should major in that (but i'm partial to it)

I would say to major in biochem, and if that is not available,major in Chemistry. First off you learn verything you need for Dental School in school. Also your first priority is getting into dental school and for that there are two sections on Chemistry on the DAT. You should be able to ace those two if you are a chem major. The biology can be learnt from scratch using cliffs or Schaumms and plays a lesser role on the DAT. The anatomy you learn in college is nothing compared to the anatomy you learn ion Dental School, and also do you honestl think you are going to remember which foramen is which. Get real, usually anatomy is taken when you are a sophomore and there is no chance of remebering it 3 years later.

Major in whatever you find interesting. Also, consider if you don't get into dental school, what would you do? Could you utilize a biology degree or chemistry degree easier?

When you pursue whatever your passion, it'll be easier to earn higher marks.

I would say Chem, and my major was chem. I do not like the "competitive feeling" in bioclass, and people are helping each other in chem class without super competitiion. In DAT, u will take 2 parts of chem. U will feel chem parts are easy if u major it. But at same time, u can take some bioclass, and it will help u to take dat. I just audit before taking dat. Good luck!

I agree with DrReo. What you find more interesting is probably the best choice. Or if you can't decide, just do Biochem... its kind of a mix between the two, but for me, it leaned more on the chemistry side. I did learn a lot about techniques for research, which may come in handy if you're doing a specialty.

But just because you major in chemistry, doesn't mean you can't take the bio classes that interests you as well.

I would say to major in biochem.

Fo sho. Try to avoid a little something called P-chem, it isn't really chem so you probably won't like it.
Bio chem might not include p-chem.
Like klutzy said, you will have 2 chem sections covered. As a chem major, learning bio has been tough for the DAT. I only took half a year of bio though.

I thin you should major in dance. Just take the D school prereqs on the side. Just think how you could impress the adcoms...:D

^ then u can dance like napolean dynamite too.

Even though some bio classes (i.e. anatomy, physiology, histology, biochemistry) would be more relevant to your dental school classes, it's more important to major in whichever of the two that you think you'll get a higher GPA in and whichever one of the two is more interesting to you.

Yeah I agree with boxdesker.

Major in whichever is more interesting and get that higher GPA in the more fun one.

Also, you dont need to decide this right away, you will be taking the generals as you go through college so I dont see to much reason for shooting straight for a major when you are not sure which is more fun yet, you will need to take a ton of crossover classes for both so based on those choose a major.

Or do non-sci!

My opinion - NEITHER.

Get a degree in finance, accounting, nursing - ANYTHING BUT A HARD SCIENCE.

Then go ahead and complete your dental school pre-reqs anyway. Sure you may have to take summer school or even a fifth year...

But when you graduate and haven't been accepted yet, at least you can get a job that doesn't involve sales, working in retail, or making under 30 GRAND!

:thumbup:

Try a Spanish major or maybe Communications.

Just remember that when they see your bio or chem major on your application that they have just read hundreds of other applications that say the exact same thing.

Fo sho. Try to avoid a little something called P-chem, it isn't really chem so you probably won't like it.
Bio chem might not include p-chem.
Like klutzy said, you will have 2 chem sections covered. As a chem major, learning bio has been tough for the DAT. I only took half a year of bio though.

Biochemistry majors should be required to take a survey of physical chemistry, at least. The class is full of chemistry....

Just remember that when they see your bio or chem major on your application that they have just read hundreds of other applications that say the exact same thing.

Although I love chemistry, I really enjoy my accounting course. Survey all possibilities with an understanding if you don't go into dental school, how will you utilize that degree!

I would recommend that if you decide to major in something other than bio or chem you talk to some of the schools your interested in. Some of them are big on upper level science courses and really won't consider you unless you have them. So with those schools, unless you plan on taking a couple of semesters of science classes after completing your major it may not be a good idea.

Between bio and chem, you've gotten people on both sides. Just choose the one you feel more comfortable in.