Should I Major in Kinesiology or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeremmed77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any disadvantages to majoring in Kinesiology versus my current Physiology major? My Physiology major seems to require a lot more difficult courses such as calculus based physics, advanced organic chemistry, etc... Some of the classes I have no interest in taking. The ones I do not want to take also seem to be some of the harder ones, so that is why I am considering changing my major.
Does it really matter what you major in as long as you take all of the prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in the same position as you in choosing a major. I have greatly considered a major in Kinesiology and really the bottom line is you have to choose what you enjoy and are best at. I think I might like Kinesiology so I might major in it myself, but I wouldnt pick a major because it is easier. By taking something you enjoy and is challengeing at the same time I think will better prepare you for what is ahead.

Then again I am just a freshman but I am just basing my post on what others have told me.

Good luck :)

Are there any disadvantages to majoring in Kinesiology versus my current Physiology major? My Physiology major seems to require a lot more difficult courses such as calculus based physics, advanced organic chemistry, etc...

Does it really matter what you major in as long as you take all of the prerequisites?

1. major in what you will enjoy the most
2. but also something that youre not going to fail out in

it doesnt matter what you major in

Members don't see this ad :)
You're still gonna need to take calculus, Ochem, and other "hard sciences" as pre-req if you plan on going to med school.

I was a kinesiology major (health promotions and fitness) and I REALLY enjoyed it. Take exercise phys and biomechanics is really interesting and very useful. In labs you get to work directly with human subjects with is awesome. I also had a lot of people ask me about it at interviews and they seemed really interested in it

so if you are interested in it then go for it! It won't hurt you....just do well in your pre-reqs!

1. major in what you will enjoy the most
2. but also something that youre not going to fail out in

+1

GPA is very important. A bio or chem major may look a little better to an adcom (more challenging classes), but a 4.0 certainly looks much better than a 3.0.

Buy the MSAR so that you know exactly what you need to take for several schools that might draw your interest. Make sure you do something that you like whether Kinesiology or anything else out there.

]

Last edited: