Should I major in

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, High School student here

I am still thinking of what to major in, but have minimized it to a few things...

General Bio
Biochemistry
Pharm-Tox
Psychology

What do you guys think? If any of you guys are majoring in any of these, please tell me how you are doing, and how hard it is?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a firm believer that you should major in what you're interested in, first and foremost (for pre-med students that is).

Now just as a preface I'm a rising junior as a pharm-tox major so I'll probably be biased. I don't recommend anyone major in general biology personally, unless you want to go to grad school for it or teach HS. I don't think the major is very versatile and I know MANY people who have graduated with a degree in bio and then switched career fields. I honestly don't know much about biochem. I love pharmacology and toxicology. I know they say nothing you learn in undergrad carries over to med school really but I feel like there could be some carry over just because of the specificity of the major as compared to just general bio where one of your bio classes might be botany or zoology. I pick pharm-tox because I'm very interested in the subject, I wanted to do research in it (currently am), and wanted a solid fall back plan if I didn't get into med school or if for some reason I couldn't/didn't want to go (this is an important factor many people don't take into account). Don't forget this, last year there was a student in our pre-med club who was a theater major just because that's what they were interested in, they didn't get into med school last year and they couldn't find ANY jobs for theater majors, college is a time to inquire about what you find interesting but don't forget it's also an investment.

Most of the students in my major get hired at the same place they do their internship (which is required at my school) so if med school doesn't work out I might go to grad school for drug design. However, med school is by far and away more desirable but I always like to have a back up plan.

I'm doing well I think. My GPA is decent, I'm studying for the MCAT now between sophomore and junior year, there have been ample research opportunities and I'm getting my own project in the fall in cancer drug resistance specifically because of my major (PI only takes ptox majors). Then the rest is kinda up to you, I wish I would've got involved on campus sooner and got a few more volunteer gigs in but other than that I'm pretty happy with everything. Just don't forget, school first, then ECs.

Years ago when I was in your position the wise @Doctor Strange helped me with the exact same decision. Here was his input:

I was a pharmacology & toxicology major in undergrad (not at Toledo). It was the single best decision I ever made in college. Not only do you go through all the pre-reqs for med school, you also get invaluable knowledge that will help you out later in medical school (e.g., physiology, immunology, pharmacology, etc.). Having a deep understanding of drugs and how they work is something that not many med schools teach and instill in their students, so it is absolutely an asset if you come in with that foundation. It's also a great degree to fall back on. If I didn't pursue med school, I could have easily found a job in industry with salaries starting at $70-80k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Gilakend Thank you for the great info, I will use your advice!

(Also if any moderator/admin sees this, this post may be in the wrong forum, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted this in this forum)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone here tell me if majoring in Biochemistry is a popular major for medical school? I am curious because I know Biology is one...

I think biochemistry will be difficult during undergrad, but I also feel that it will give you an excellent foundation for medical school/MCAT preparation.

Can anyone here tell me if majoring in Biochemistry is a popular major for medical school? I am curious because I know Biology is one...

No, it's a very tough major.

I triple majored in biology, chemistry, and sociology largely because of a good number of AP credits and there is a generally large amount of overlap in requirements for pre-med that it does not make it terrible to knock out bio and chem as majors. That being said does it matter for me now as a pulmonary/critical care fellow? not at all. Major in whatever is of interest but make sure you can keep your science and non-science gpa's reasonably high. A lot of people choose science majors because of the pre-requisites necessary to get into medical school and sometimes it makes studying for the mcat easier. I think an awesome option is a double major with one science and one non-science especially if you can keep both gpa's up. I remember having a 4.0 is sociology and think my other two were 3.8ish from a fairly well known premed/engineering type of school. Hopefully, this can provide some insight. Ultimately, study what interests you because you won't get the best out of your college experience.

Reactions: 1 users

I was a finance major in undergrad and don't regret it. I'm going to echo the above sentiments because the topic of "which major should I choose?" always comes around in various iterations every year. Choose a major that is genuinely enjoyable to you. I personally could not have tolerated being a science major because I don't find genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, etc. interesting in the slightest. I love surgery and reading about it and learning the craft of it, but to have spent 4 years as a science major would've been torture for me. So pick something that you're going to want to study and good grades usually follow. Cheers.

Do bioinformatics, its basically computer science with a biology, chemistry, medicine focus. You'll be extremely marketable to prospective employers. With the way medicine is moving, its incredible that more students don't know about this field

Thanks guys, for all the great info. Would majoring in English Literature sound good? (Do any of you know any english pre-med majors)

A school I know also offers a B.S in Paramedicine, would becoming a paramedic during college be something that Medical schools would want to see? This Paramedicine major sounds very interesting. I think it would help because it offers clinical experience as well?

Thanks guys, for all the great info. Would majoring in English Literature sound good? (Do any of you know any english pre-med majors)

A school I know also offers a B.S in Paramedicine, would becoming a paramedic during college be something that Medical schools would want to see? This Paramedicine major sounds very interesting. I think it would help because it offers clinical experience as well?

Becoming a paramedic is a PITA unless you are going to work as one for a while before going to medical school. It is a huge time commitment and depending on where you work, the job can really take a toll on your mental health and well-being. Not to mention you have to become an EMT before you can go for your medic.
I have some regrets about becoming one only because it delayed me applying to medical school. Unfortunately some (not all) adcoms do not know the difference between an EMT and a paramedic. Keep that in mind.

Major in whatever you can do well in and try not to overthink it (easier said than done).