Should I make The Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcelv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have decided to return to the world of academia...Last Year I decided that I being a dentist will probably be a gratifying career, however, the only problem is that I will have to give up my current career as a pharmacist. Every dental advisor that I have spoken to inform me that I am making the right choice, but easier said than done, when your current salary is +130K. I only have 4 months to make a decision because I have been accepted into 3 Dental schools, in which one of them has offered me a Full Scholarship (not my school of choice). Can someone give me some advice

Members don't see this ad.

Ultimately, only you can make that choice.

Some factors to consider: do you have a family and are they supportive of the change, are you prepared for 4 more years of school, would you enjoy being in business for yourself as a dentist, can you see yourself doing that kind of work.

I would think you would have made your choice prior to applying. But I guess second guessing yourself is normal when it's this big of a committment.

But this is something that you really do need to decide for yourself.

make the change if you think it's best for you; no one can decide that for you. And i'd go with the full scholarship!

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: Wow! Congrats on getting accepted and the full ride :)
I agree with what the others are saying. Only you can make the decision.

My advice to you is to look at whether or not you're happy with what you are doing... If not definitely re-think your options.

You're already making good money so that should not be an issue.

Best of luck on your decision!:luck:

Congrats! Its a decision you have to make, no one can help you there as usual there are pros and cons for both occupations .u gotta sit down and think about them see which one fits u and ur way of life! If u dont mind may I ask which school gave you the full scholarship?

This is coming from an experienced dental student. Unless you have a passion for dentistry, stick with pharmacy. There is a lot of **** that comes with the territory of being a dental student (and just by being a dentist) that can turn the ordinary person off. Right off the bat, being anal in this field is a good thing. Millimeters will make the difference between how good some of your work turns out to be.

You also have to add the fact that an additional four years of your life will be taken away from you. You'll be pretty damn busy in dental school from beginning to end. One of our practice leaders once told us that they want to see us running until we receive our diplomas.

Now you may think that my rant is some spoiled brat shooting his mouth off about all the bad things about dentistry. This could not be farther from the truth. I busted my ass in college to make it to where I am today. I am just warning you that unless you enjoy working with your hands and don't care that over a half a million dollars was given up for four years of struggles, then don't even think twice (stick with pharmacy). Remember also that many dental students think that they are going to become millionaires coming right out of school. This again, is a lie that has been propagating from the dental community for some time now. Dentistry is a business, and its success is dependent on a number of factors, the number one factor being the demand for dentists in a particular area. Our area here in Houston is flooded with dentists, and many associates are being hired for a measly 80K/year.

Can you become a successful person as a dentist? Most definitely (you WILL be in the top 5% as far as salary is concerned). But if I were making over 130K year as a pharmacist, and knowing what I know now, there would be NO WAY IN HELL that I would ever come back to school (much less dental school).

But don't forget that I am not here to push you away from anything. If you have researched what dentistry is all about and have a passion to pursue it, then by all means, go ahead. But if you think that millions will be rolling in when you get your degree, then you're going to have a big surprise waiting for you on the other end of this four year journey

Good Luck

I agree. Having been through dental school, if I had a job paying $130K, I would not go to dental school. Ask me again in 20 years, but it will take you at least 8 years (some more, some less) before you make that salary again. So you defninitely have to have the passion. Don't do it for the money. If you can say... I am willing to take a massive paycut for at least 8 years, and will make about the same after loan payments for many years, and I still want to do it for the passion of the field, then only then should you do it. I'm not saying don't. I know a few pharmacists that switched. Just don't do it because you think the grass is greener.

1. Pharmacist
2. Making over 130 Grand a year
3. Accepted to 3 dental schools
4. FULL scholarship

*cough* Troll *cough*

...that being said, a dentist i work with in the National Guard used to be a pharmacist, so do what interests ya.

This is coming from an experienced dental student. Unless you have a passion for dentistry, stick with pharmacy. There is a lot of **** that comes with the territory of being a dental student (and just by being a dentist) that can turn the ordinary person off. Right off the bat, being anal in this field is a good thing. Millimeters will make the difference between how good some of your work turns out to be.

You also have to add the fact that an additional four years of your life will be taken away from you. You'll be pretty damn busy in dental school from beginning to end. One of our practice leaders once told us that they want to see us running until we receive our diplomas.

Now you may think that my rant is some spoiled brat shooting his mouth off about all the bad things about dentistry. This could not be farther from the truth. I busted my ass in college to make it to where I am today. I am just warning you that unless you enjoy working with your hands and don't care that over a half a million dollars was given up for four years of struggles, then don't even think twice (stick with pharmacy). Remember also that many dental students think that they are going to become millionaires coming right out of school. This again, is a lie that has been propagating from the dental community for some time now. Dentistry is a business, and its success is dependent on a number of factors, the number one factor being the demand for dentists in a particular area. Our area here in Houston is flooded with dentists, and many associates are being hired for a measly 80K/year.

Can you become a successful person as a dentist? Most definitely (you WILL be in the top 5% as far as salary is concerned). But if I were making over 130K year as a pharmacist, and knowing what I know now, there would be NO WAY IN HELL that I would ever come back to school (much less dental school).

But don’t forget that I am not here to push you away from anything. If you have researched what dentistry is all about and have a passion to pursue it, then by all means, go ahead. But if you think that millions will be rolling in when you get your degree, then you’re going to have a big surprise waiting for you on the other end of this four year journey

Good Luck

I agree with you 100%. This is a very accurate depiction of what dental school really comprises in both sacrifices and rewards.

GREAT ADVICE, however many in the healthcare world veiw pharmacy as a laid back job, but few consider the stress that comes along with the money. Of course pharmacy is one of the highest paying careers within the healthcare arena (I have friends making 150k/year) but job burns you completely out. If you know of anyone working at a retail pharmacy ask them about the stress and demand that comes along with the money. Very few enjoy pharmacy, and the fact that you have to baby-sit prescriptions written by doctors is unreal...not to mention that if something goes wrong "major lawsuit" I have always enjoyed dentistry since undergrad and even work for dentist in pharmacy school...I am sure that dentistry is what I want