Should I mention my low undergrad GPA in my SOP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meteora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello ladies and gentlemen! Hope everyone is well.

I am currently chest-deep in the application process and have just about finished my first draft of my SOP. Basically, I am ashamed to say I had a low undergraduate GPA (2.9) due to basically failing General Chemistry on 3 occasions. My psych GPA was great however.

After I graduated, I started working on getting my MA which I am still in the process of (finishing my thesis) but have completed all my coursework. My GPA in my MA program is a 3.7...which I hope will offset my terrible undergrad GPA.

I was wondering whether you guys think it's worth mentioning my low undergrad GPA in my SOP. I heard that the SOP is a good place to talk about severe flaws or shortcomings in your application. Would it reflect badly on me NOT to mention it?

Also...do you guys think I'm kind of screwed anyway just due to my low undergrad GPA? My worst fear is that programs will auto-filter out just based on undergrad GPA, or that they won't even look at the Masters GPA (of if they filter out any apps that have any sub-3.0 GPAs at all).

Anyway, appreciate any advice!

How did you do on the GRE?

What kind of research experience do you have? Have you published any paper or presented any posters at conferences?

x

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some may filter, but then commenting on it wouldn't matter because why would they read it. If they don't filter it, then they will see your transcript and draw their own conclusions. Saying something in SOP about it will detract from talking about how your research interests match and how you are excited about continuing to develop them in their program.

Reactions: 1 users
Some may filter, but then commenting on it wouldn't matter because why would they read it. If they don't filter it, then they will see your transcript and draw their own conclusions. Saying something in SOP about it will detract from talking about how your research interests match and how you are excited about continuing to develop them in their program.

This is what I was leaning towards as well. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Just so you know, I got in with a sub-3.0 GPA (fully funded PhD program), so it can be done. I also got plenty of interviews. Not all programs filter! FWIW, I did briefly mention my undergrad GPA in my personal statement, because if you looked at my whole application, it looked really out of place. In one sentence, I mentioned what had caused my low GPA (this felt safe to me because it was something fixable and pretty much one-time only, as opposed to a long-standing problem that could impact me in grad school) and that my low GPA plus other reasons (that I also explained) led me to get a masters degree.

Just so you know, I got in with a sub-3.0 GPA (fully funded PhD program), so it can be done. I also got plenty of interviews. Not all programs filter! FWIW, I did briefly mention my undergrad GPA in my personal statement, because if you looked at my whole application, it looked really out of place. In one sentence, I mentioned what had caused my low GPA (this felt safe to me because it was something fixable and pretty much one-time only, as opposed to a long-standing problem that could impact me in grad school) and that my low GPA plus other reasons (that I also explained) led me to get a masters degree.

What was the rest of your application like, e.g. GRE scores, research experience, etc?

I had a lot of research experience from both undergrad and after, and had done a number of conference presentations plus had a few publications. My GRE was 170V/169Q/6.0 AW. But I don't think someone needs to have those kinds of scores/experience to get in with a low GPA.