Should I mention this in my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samdig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third time dental school applicant and I am about to go to my first interview ever. Should I tell my interviewers that if they don't ask me that specifically?

Members don't see this ad.

saying that you are a 3rd time reapplicant? yes
1st interview? i dunno how it would help or hurt you by saying this

I'm a third time dental school applicant and I am about to go to my first interview ever. Should I tell my interviewers that if they don't ask me that specifically?

i think you can somehow correlate that to one of your answers

Members don't see this ad :)

You can use this to show your dedication to the profession, as well as how hard you are willing to work once you are in dental school.

If you were on a first date, would you disclose that all the other girls you had asked before had turned you down?

School know that you're a reapplicant. I don't feel that being a 2nd vs 3rd time reapplicant makes that big a difference in showing your determination. Most of your peers (competitors at this point) are determined and interested in dentistry.

IMHO, highlighting the fact that you're a 3rd time reapplicant accentuates your flaws. If I was an adcom, I'd wonder what's wrong with you that no school accepted you the first two times. I'd be reluctant to accept a student that my peers have all ignored.

You shouldn't draw attention to a blemish, whether it be a bad grade or failure to get accepted to a school. If asked, you 're best bet is to redirect the conversation to how you improved between cycles.

If you were on a first date, would you disclose that all the other girls you had asked before had turned you down?

School know that you're a reapplicant. I don't feel that being a 2nd vs 3rd time reapplicant makes that big a difference in showing your determination. Most of your peers (competitors at this point) are determined and interested in dentistry.

IMHO, highlighting the fact that you're a 3rd time reapplicant accentuates your flaws. If I was an adcom, I'd wonder what's wrong with you that no school accepted you the first two times. I'd be reluctant to accept a student that my peers have all ignored.

You shouldn't draw attention to a blemish, whether it be a bad grade or failure to get accepted to a school. If asked, you 're best bet is to redirect the conversation to how you improved between cycles.

Are you kidding me? Every school that I've asked said the chance of getting accepted as a second time or more applicant goes up significantly because it shows your determination... Obviously you are somewhat interested if you are applying but trying to get in for 3 years obviously shows this is really what you want to do and will do whatever it takes to get accepted...

I would mention your a third time applicant be but prepared to tell how you have bettered your application over time. Goodluck!

Are you kidding me? Every school that I've asked said the chance of getting accepted as a second time or more applicant goes up significantly because it shows your determination... Obviously you are somewhat interested if you are applying but trying to get in for 3 years obviously shows this is really what you want to do and will do whatever it takes to get accepted...

I would mention your a third time applicant be but prepared to tell how you have bettered your application over time. Goodluck!

true

+1

I have talked to a couple adcoms that said the same thing.