Should I minor in french?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelsea Cabrera

Chem Nerd
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since by the time I graduate I would have done 3 semesters abroad, do you think I should minor in french? Will it have any value when applying to medical schools? Does it any value in the real world? Would there be a difference between Italian or French?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It will have no value in terms of application and acceptance. Plenty of people are bilingual. Is it valuable in the real world? It depends. Are you going to practice medicine in France? I think there are some appreciable differences between Italian and French, but I'm not sure what you mean by asking. Do it for yourself. You obviously like it, so take the minor and be fluent in a second language. I'm sure you know all about the cognitive benefits of such a skill.

Members don't see this ad :)
I double majored, one of them being French. It never came up during my cycle at all, but it did make for a much more enjoyable/relaxing college experience, as it was a welcome break from science all the time.

gyngyn's got it right. Don't do it for the sake of a medical school application.

Since by the time I graduate I would have done 3 semesters abroad, do you think I should minor in french? Will it have any value when applying to medical schools? Does it any value in the real world? Would there be a difference between Italian or French?
Abroad where?
Maybe.
No.
Maybe.
No.

We don't care what you major or minor is, just pick something that interests you, and do well. I'd pick French because if Medicine isn't for you, the State Dep't could always use French speakers. It's the 2nd language for a good chunk of Africa.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps if you're interested in going to med school in Quebec, but other than that no real reason to.

Mais oui!

If you love it and can do well, it will help your GPA. It can be helpful in Haiti and parts of Africa. It can also just add enjoyment to your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Do it! Le Français est très cool.

Reactions: 1 user