Should I not finish my bachelor's and go to Pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCIPharmman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current UCI 2nd year undergrad with senior standing as a Pharmaceutical Sciences major looking to go into Pharmacy. This has always been my dream job and I honestly can't wait to learn everything there is to know about drugs. I have a 3.99 GPA so far and I only need Anatomy, physiology, microbiology, a speech class, and 1 more quarter of ochem lab to finish the prerequisites for Western University. I am also a pharmacy technician for around 5 months, a hospital pharmacy volunteer, and an intern for a hospital pharmacy. I was thinking of doing early decision this following cycle and if I were to get accepted, ditch my bachelor's degree and go straight to Pharmacy school, and if I don't get accepted I could continue my two years and then apply again. What do you guys think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a current UCI 2nd year undergrad with senior standing as a Pharmaceutical Sciences major looking to go into Pharmacy. This has always been my dream job and I honestly can't wait to learn everything there is to know about drugs. I have a 3.99 GPA so far and I only need Anatomy, physiology, microbiology, a speech class, and 1 more quarter of ochem lab to finish the prerequisites for Western University. I am also a pharmacy technician for around 5 months, a hospital pharmacy volunteer, and an intern for a hospital pharmacy. I was thinking of doing early decision this following cycle and if I were to get accepted, ditch my bachelor's degree and go straight to Pharmacy school, and if I don't get accepted I could continue my two years and then apply again. What do you guys think I should do?

Don't waste you time on a BS

Hi there, fellow UCI pharmsci major here. I would say that not getting a bachelor degree will limit your options. Some pharmacy schools require a bachelor degree so be sure to check. Is western our top choice for pharmacy school? If so then go for it. Otherwise, if you want to apply to schools like USC, UCSF OR UCSD then it's highly recommended that you get a bachelor degree as it will make you a more competitive applicant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
you should not waste your time with pharmacy school.

Hello there, so last year I was in the same dilemma! But I decided to apply to Pharm school with out obtaining my BS....and it all worked out.Going to pharmacy school this Fall. I'm glad I didn't wast my time, energy and money on something that wasn't required. BUT if the schools that you r trying to get into require degree please do so. Do your research before u make any decision. I hope my words will give you a perspective that could hint a decsion towards your final choice. Good Luck!

Most schools don't require an undergraduate degree. I'm starting pharmacy school early and my undergrad still awards professional students their B.S. degree after 1-2 yrs of pharm/med/dental/vet school. You should see if you can do this if it matters to you.

I know people who have opted to skip the BS and go straight to pharm school after 2 years (or do the 5-6 year programs out of high school). Some have loved it, some have regretted it. If you know for sure that you want to be a pharmacist, go for it - more power to you! But if you're unsure, finish up your BS and figure it out from there. You have time to decide. It is getting easier, not harder, to be admitted into a pharmacy school (if you aren't picky... so many are opening up, especially here in CA). What you don't want is to decide 1 year into pharm school that it's not for you, then drop out with $50k in debt.

Finish your BS because there's always the off chance that you decide to go for different or further schooling, which almost certainly requires a BS degree.

^Yeah, I got my BS just in case I changed my mind. I also tend to think of the worst case scenario too so that's why I got my BS lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you want to consider Medical or Dental schools then yes finish your Bachelors, if not and you have a good enough resume then ditch the B.S. You will be slightly more in debt for the 2 more years of loans for no reason. Pharmacy is saturated and it's difficult to get a job, Medical schools/Dental schools have the better upside although dental schools are ridiculously expensive, and both Medical/Dental schools are slightly more difficult to get into since they require more and don't have as many accelerated programs compared to Pharmacy schools. Just do your research see if you really want to do pharmacy, if you have some doubts finish the Bachelors.