• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Should I politely dispute a school's decision that my class doesn't meet a prerequisite?

TragicalDrFaust

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2017
southwest
  1. Medical Student
I was rejected post-primary on the basis that I'm missing behavioral science classes. I truly believe I have quite a few including psych, philosophy, economics, aging policy and management plus a couple classes on different religions. They saw one behavioral science class in there and said I need one more. I also worked in a community health psychology lab for 270 hours and co-authored two posters there. Though the lab was affiliated with my university, I chose not to receive credit for financial reasons. When I brought up my classes to the school and framed it as a possible transcript entry error, they remained firm and pointed me in the direction of AACOMAS Course Subjects. Is it worth politely pointing out that I feel several of my classes fall under several of those categories? I don't want to offend anyone but I sincerely believe my classes meet the requirements. For reference, my behavioral science classes passed muster at every school I applied to last cycle and every other school I've applied to this cycle.

PeteytheFish

Mar 24, 2020
  1. Medical Student
I successfully disputed a class by providing the school with a full syllabus and official course description. The school that queried that pre-req turned into the first school to interview me and the first to offer me admission.

Be polite and professional. Provide them with all the official information you can give them (including, potentially, the professor's contact information), and then accept the decision made in response.

Some schools will reward a student who is able to advocate for themselves and some won't, but what have you to lose?

Reactions: 5 users
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I successfully disputed a class by providing the school with a full syllabus and official course description. The school that queried that pre-req turned into the first school to interview me and the first to offer me admission.

Be polite and professional. Provide them with all the official information you can give them (including, potentially, the professor's contact information), and then accept the decision made in response.

Some schools will reward a student who is able to advocate for themselves and some won't, but what have you to lose?
I agree with this 100%

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
D

deleted1044561

"Is there any way my involvement in xyz can fulfill this requirement? I would really like to go to ZYX school and it would be very unfortunate if this is the reason I am not considered..."

Easy, and without sounding like a Karen.

stormking

2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I was rejected post-primary on the basis that I'm missing behavioral science classes. I truly believe I have quite a few including psych, philosophy, economics, aging policy and management plus a couple classes on different religions. They saw one behavioral science class in there and said I need one more. I also worked in a community health psychology lab for 270 hours and co-authored two posters there. Though the lab was affiliated with my university, I chose not to receive credit for financial reasons. When I brought up my classes to the school and framed it as a possible transcript entry error, they remained firm and pointed me in the direction of AACOMAS Course Subjects. Is it worth politely pointing out that I feel several of my classes fall under several of those categories? I don't want to offend anyone but I sincerely believe my classes meet the requirements. For reference, my behavioral science classes passed muster at every school I applied to last cycle and every other school I've applied to this cycle.
I recently got the same issue with UNECOM about the behavioral science class... Very frustrating to be rejected on that basis. But I politely replied the email with all the syllabi and information... Hope things will work out

Reactions: 1 users

Dochopeful13

7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
UNECOM’s website says Prerequisite courses may be in-progress or planned at the time of application. Why don’t you just take two behavioral science classes before the deadline January 1st?

stormking

2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
UNECOM’s website says Prerequisite courses may be in-progress or planned at the time of application. Why don’t you just take two behavioral science classes before the deadline January 1st?
Wait, What if i want to "plan taking it" in 2021 Jan? Can i not do that? I thought as long as you have the class completed before matriculation is okay?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.