Should I postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yhwapg

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently scheduled to take in 2 days. Goal is 515 and would really really prefer this, but I wouldn't be totally disappointed with a 512. Would be very upset with below a 508.

I've studied for about 4 months but stupidly spent the vast majority of my time doing anki cards of the kaplan books and didn't do any full lengths until the past ~10 days. I also didn't follow any particular study schedule, so I crammed gen chem and physics review in just a few weeks ago and still feel pretty shaky on physics. While taking the full lengths I always feel confident on B/B and CARS, feel relatively comfortable on P/S (except for some of the material not covered well on Kaplan that I haven't fully gotten from Khan yet), but legit feel like I'm guessing and don't actually know what is going on for a fair number of questions on C/P (and do actually guess on a few). My ultimate fear would be that I get a C/P passage that just absolutely wrecks me and takes me 508 or below, but I guess based on the relative stability of my AAMC FLs that might be unfounded?

AAMC sample test (4/12): 85% (80,89,81,85) (which the converter said was a 517?)
AAMC FL 1 (4/20): 512 (128/130/129/125)
Kaplan FL 3 (4/24): 511 (127/128/127/129)
AAMC FL 2 (4/25): 510 (126/127/128/129)

I also did the section banks, but more as learning than evaluation. Scores were P/S 59%, B/S 65%, P/S 70%, with questions taken informally and intermittently throughout the course of studying (half taken ~1.5 months ago, half taken recently).

So... do you think I should void this Friday and take May 13th? Do you think delaying would actually give me a significantly higher chance at my target score?

As a sidenote, one concern with delaying would be that I'm now completely out of AAMC materials, so I might get "out of practice" with aamc-style questions in the next couple weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'll be able to hit 512+ as it stands right now and should continue building on your exam stamina via more FLs.

Currently scheduled to take in 2 days. Goal is 515 and would really really prefer this, but I wouldn't be totally disappointed with a 512. Would be very upset with below a 508.

I've studied for about 4 months but stupidly spent the vast majority of my time doing anki cards of the kaplan books and didn't do any full lengths until the past ~10 days. I also didn't follow any particular study schedule, so I crammed gen chem and physics review in just a few weeks ago and still feel pretty shaky on physics. While taking the full lengths I always feel confident on B/B and CARS, feel relatively comfortable on P/S (except for some of the material not covered well on Kaplan that I haven't fully gotten from Khan yet), but legit feel like I'm guessing and don't actually know what is going on for a fair number of questions on C/P (and do actually guess on a few). My ultimate fear would be that I get a C/P passage that just absolutely wrecks me and takes me 508 or below, but I guess based on the relative stability of my AAMC FLs that might be unfounded?

AAMC sample test (4/12): 85% (80,89,81,85) (which the converter said was a 517?)
AAMC FL 1 (4/20): 512 (128/130/129/125)
Kaplan FL 3 (4/24): 511 (127/128/127/129)
AAMC FL 2 (4/25): 510 (126/127/128/129)

I also did the section banks, but more as learning than evaluation. Scores were P/S 59%, B/S 65%, P/S 70%, with questions taken informally and intermittently throughout the course of studying (half taken ~1.5 months ago, half taken recently).

So... do you think I should void this Friday and take May 13th? Do you think delaying would actually give me a significantly higher chance at my target score?

As a sidenote, one concern with delaying would be that I'm now completely out of AAMC materials, so I might get "out of practice" with aamc-style questions in the next couple weeks.

I think people often severely underestimate how test day conditions will affect their score. My last full length was 9 points less than my actual MCAT. I'd say go ahead and take it, you've already paid for it. Go in with a clear head and give it your all. You can still retake it, but don't void it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You should definitely take it. Your practice exam scores are pretty decent for at least 510+, which is not a bad score to at least have initially if you're applying this summer. You could always retest after that if you're really unhappy with your score, but there's no reason for you to assume that you won't manage to get a 515 on the exam. You just never know..people on here have scored 520+ and said on test day they considered voiding their exam because after taking it they felt terrible. So just be a little confident and see what happens! Your practice scores seem to be on track for what you want to score.

Also, Kaplan scores are known to be deflated, so if you're scoring a 511 on their test that's pretty good.

If you wouldn't mind, could you share some C/P tips and B/B tips? I am trying to pull up my scores on those sections, so any input would be nice because you scored well!