Should I postpone ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xanias

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scheduled to take my MCAT on April 20th. Need advice on whether I should postpone till May; Scores so far; This is a retake so I really can't mess this up.

AAMC Sample Test; C/P (78%), CARS (68%), B/B (72%), P/S (81%)

Next Step FL1; 508 - C/P (127), CARS (126), B/B (126), P/S (129)

Next Step FL2; 507- C/P (127), CARS (125), B/B (127), P/S (128)

Next Step FL3; 504- C/P (126), CARS (124), B/B (126), P/S (128)

AAMC Official Guide; C/P (21/30), CARS (27/30), B/B (26/30), P/S (27/30)

AAMC FL1; 509- C/P (129), CARS (125), B/B (128), P/S (127)

CARS Q-Pack Volume 1; 68 % (untimed)

CARS Q-Pack Volume 2; 70 % (untimed)

B/B Section Bank- 77 % (untimed)

C/P Section Bank- 83 % (untimed)

I am worried because I feel like the Next Step scores are really inflated and give people false hope. Goal is to get a 510 on the real thing.

Also assuming I do postpone; would getting my scores back on June 19th be considered "late" when applying ?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting scores back on June 19th will not put you at a serious disadvantage.

If your goal is a 510+, you are unlikely to achieve that with the given scores. There is always some point attrition on the real MCAT due to the pressure, especially if this is a retake.

For instance...this is a list of my practice tests, in order, where I scored over 510.

Next Step #1: 510
Next Step #2: 512
AAMC FL #1: 516
AAMC FL #2: 513

My actual MCAT score was a 511.

My practice test scores ranged from 510-516, and I scored on the low end of that range.

Your range is (roughly) 504-509. Do you expect to do better than you ever have on the actual test, given the pressure of it being a retake?

I would personally say you should postpone, and aim HIGHER. If you aim for 515+, then you are more likely to (in the worst case) land at your initial goal of 510.

I am no expert on MCAT prep (as evidenced by my score), but I do know that this test is a monster and that you need to be OVER prepared.

I completely agree, I have to go in Over prepared for this thing, especially with the inflation of Next Step Scores I really don't trust any of this. I am going to postpone till May 19th and do a Full length every week till then. Also If I submit my app June 1st by the time it is processed and LOR's are in the new score will update. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree, I have to go in Over prepared for this thing, especially with the inflation of Next Step Scores I really don't trust any of this. I am going to postpone till May 19th and do a Full length every week till then. Also If I submit my app June 1st by the time it is processed and LOR's are in the new score will update. Thanks for your input!

I think that is a good plan! Make sure to review each and every answer to each and every question on the practice tests!

If the rest of your application is complete your MCAT scores should just "pop" right in once they are released!

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pushing it back won't be a problem if you feel like that is what you want to do. However, a 510 is completely achievable with where you stand atm. You already got a 509 on AAMC 1(assuming you haven't already taken this when preparing for your first test) you could easily bring that up a couple points over the next month.

Pushing it back won't be a problem if you feel like that is what you want to do. However, a 510 is completely achievable with where you stand atm. You already got a 509 on AAMC 1(assuming you haven't already taken this when preparing for your first test) you could easily bring that up a couple points over the next month.
Thanks, so I did take this same test about a year ago. Not sure how much that will inflate my score as I didn’t really remember anything from it but maybe I was psychologically more familiar with the passages without noticing. Anyways I believe I’ll feel more confident if I push it back one month and aim to get a higher score just in case since this is a retake.

Thanks, so I did take this same test about a year ago. Not sure how much that will inflate my score as I didn’t really remember anything from it but maybe I was psychologically more familiar with the passages without noticing. Anyways I believe I’ll feel more confident if I push it back one month and aim to get a higher score just in case since this is a retake.

Ya in that case pushing it back to May would be a safe thing to do. Generally retaking a practice exam raises your score a couple points even if you didn't exactly remember the answers.