Should I Postpone?

Started by Mr.Patel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mr.Patel

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

So I have been studying for the MCAT for past 2 months and I thought I had everything down. THen I decided to take the AAMC exam number 3 on Wednesday and I received a 22 (PS-9, BS-9, V-4).

Then I took AAMC number 4 today and got a 23 with a 5 in verbal and sciences stayed the same. After reviewing the exams, I made a lot of very stupid mistakes.

I went through the EK books and I have all the concepts down; I just haven't had any passage practice thus the bad scores (when I review the questions, its not content which is the issue, its the AAMC format which hurts). I am already very late in the cycle and don't want to change my date (taking it on August 20th). I have about 2 wks left.

When doing the EK 101 for verbal I was getting 8-9s. But when I do the AAMC, the passages are far worse and I can't concentrate on them. Are the real MCAT passages this boring? Am I doomed to do bad? I don't know what to do! I am aiming for 27+ and scoring 5+ points in 2 wks is difficult. Does anyone have any success stores of drastic improvements. I defiantly want to give it my all and take the exam but need some reassurance.

Should I postpone or is 2 wks enough to improve? I think the sciences are possible because its not my content which is an issue. How can I get more passage practice (I haven't done the EK 30 mins so I have them and I also have PR Science workbook). Thank you very much for your input.
 
I have the same problem as you. 10+ in the sciences but 4,5,6's on AAMC verbals. I am going to take either aamc #7 or #8 this week and if I don't get and 8 or higher, I will postpone my test till next jan since I am applying next cycle and focus on reading comprehension this semester, especially because I think that is my problem.

I would suggest the same for you. There is no sense in spending all this money in an application cycle, one in which you are already late, with a terrible verbal score. No offense. It just seems like a no brainer. It's hard to admit, and it was hard for me, but I am not doing myself any favors by taking a test in which I have a serious weakness in, albeit it is verbal.

Also, I am a Texas resident, and many of the med schools have accepted students with low verbals ( a rare 6, a few 7's) because they had high bio scores. I saw a study on it. But, if you are in cali, NY, or any of the other more competitive states, then I would DEF consider postponing an app cycle
 
I am from NJ and I turned in my primaries in a while ago and even received one secondary without MCAT (they just want to make money). So I defiantly do not want to pull out this cycle. But I understand your reasoning but I feel like I am in a position where I just want to give it my all.

Any advise about the scores? I just went over it and I made dumb mistakes on the PS (incorrect calculations or trying to do too much aka find the molar mass of things when they are already given in the passage, etc.). I hope with more practice I can improve on that aspect.