Should I pursue a SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pichael-thompson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont think you need to do an SMP since your full time post bac already shows that you've been able to recover. Maybe taking a few more post bac courses would be helpful to solidifying the impression that you've recovered but an SMP seems like overkill for the money. How many credits was your post bac?

Reactions: 1 users
With a 3.69, I wouldn't do an SMP. Having low clinical hours definitely hurt the first time around, which you've addressed. At this point, I'd consider adding some research to your app to balance it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think you need to do an SMP since your full time post bac already shows that you've been able to recover. Maybe taking a few more post bac courses would be helpful to solidifying the impression that you've recovered but an SMP seems like overkill for the money. How many credits was your post bac?
I agree.

OP, have DO schools on your list because Beggars can't be choosy.

Also have a very careful Target list for MD. Do not assume that just because you have a 518 MCAT that MD schools will automatically fall down for you. A high MCAT does not remediate a lesser GPA where the red flag of your senior year.

Your post bac will do that, but I don't think 13 hours it's enough to give Credence to the idea that you have successfully reinvented yourself. I suggest one more semester. Also if you can get a letter of recommendation writer to bounce for the bed events that sank your GPA and that they really were a fluke, that will help. On the downside of that semester, people will wonder why did you did not just take a leave of absence?

See if your school will allow you to take retroactive withdrawals for the bad classes. Yes this is a thing at some schools. The worst that your school will do is say no.

Also keep in mind that there are plenty of top MD schools that will not give you a Second Glance because they have enough applicants who did not need to reinvent themselves like you did.

Also work on interview skills!

Would it look better to a medical school to take full time upper level undergrad science courses, or do a masters program in bio or chem? Which would be a better choice in my situation?

thanks!
A research MS is discounted by MS schools due to the grade inflation and the inability to assess the rigor of course like Senibars in Neuroscience, Research Methods, and Journal Club.

Taking upper lever science courses that mimic med school and doing well in them is what we look for

Reactions: 1 user
The average accepted MD GPA is like 3.7, for DO its 3.5, you are going to get diminished returns on an SMP. Unless you can somehow get a 3.8+, which will surely be hard, I don't think its of much benefit if you have a 3.65 or whatever.

Apply DO, work on interviews, add some other assets to your application like volunteering hours (also weak). You need to remember some MD programs may be average your MCAT. The 495 is not totally forgotten.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, would a school reject me after an interview even if the interview went well in their perspective?
No.

If so, what would be the justification for interviewing someone if they already did not like something on their application. Just wondering if this happens to some applicants. I did a good amount of interview prep with my school career center and physicians. I’m not saying I did excellent in my interviews, and I’ll definitely keep practicing for the future!
People, in general, are poor judges of their own interview performance.

Interviewers are also trained to be polite.