Hi everyone,
My stats are 3.4 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. I am Colombian (not a URM, I know), and part of the LGBTQ community. I really want to serve the youth transgender community as a doctor. Volunteer experience is working with LGBTQ youth every week at a center. I also have the standard hospital volunteer hours. I need to shadow more. I started my own business to pay for school and am in the process of founding an LGBTQ club at the university I'm completing my pre reqs at.
Undergrad: I was a scholarship D1 collegiate athlete. I finished with a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA from one math class. I did not take any other science classes in undergrad.
Post grad: I was one of 8 selected for a year long coaching fellowship for my sport, while I was training at a pre elite level to compete for the national team (injuries ended my career). I also coached the top novice team in my region and went on to help coach the second best team in the country.
Post bacc: I believe my post bacc GPA is a 3.7. I just got a C in biochem by 1 point. I was in and out of the doctor and hospital all semester for relentless GI issues and have lost close to 30 pounds, putting me underweight. I vomited in the middle of my third biochem exam and couldn't finish the test, so my professor allowed me to "erase it," which made my final exam worth more than 60 percent of my grade. I made a 70 on it, which then tanked my grade in the class to a 79, which gave me a C. I was in A range before I got sick during the third test.
I'm supposed to take the MCAT in April and apply in June, but I don't know if I should push my app back, retake biochem in the fall, get a job that helps my app even more, and work on bringing up my science GPA again (it took me from a 3.7 to a 3.6). My confidence is trashed and I'm not sure what to do anymore. It's taken me this long to even post about it. The nightmares over biochem and the MCAT are relentless and I just couldn't bring myself to even ask about it. I feel like a fraud at times. Also adding that I am a Texas applicant. Thanks in advance.