Should I put these activities in my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palsi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently speaking with my father who reminded me that from the time I was about 5 to the time I was 13 I spent approx 250 - 350 hours working with disabled children in Mexico. He thinks I should add it to my app under activities, while I think it's too unprofessional and should be mentioned maybe in my CV or my PS. Someone please reassure me that I'm not being an idiot by choosing not to put this in my actual activities.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it sounds like a great personal statement topic...not really an activity as it was a long time ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with the above posters. I currently interview students. I think it would be a great personal statement topic or something to bring up during interviews in terms of working with less fortunate populations. In terms of adding material to your CV, there should only be activities carried out in undergrad + any time spent off afterwards before you matriculate. Awards and activities from high school can be mentioned if they were significant enough.

Only put it on your CV unless you continued to do it up until now, if not there is no point in mentioning it in your CV, it would be better suited for the personal statement.

Are you talking in generalities?

You can put things you've done as an undergraduate, but if its something you did in high school leave it out unless its a MacArthur grant or Nobel Prize.

When you start listing weak activities, they devalue your other activities.

My other comment would be, how much is a 5 year old helping?

Are you talking in generalities?

You can put things you've done as an undergraduate, but if its something you did in high school leave it out unless its a MacArthur grant or Nobel Prize.

When you start listing weak activities, they devalue your other activities.

My other comment would be, how much is a 5 year old helping?

An even more important question might be "does a 5-year-old realistically have the capacity to say no if parents wish that he/she volunteer with them?"

An even more important question might be "does a 5-year-old realistically have the capacity to say no if parents wish that he/she volunteer with them?"

I absolutely had the right to say no as both my brothers decided to never go with my parents. Although I do agree that it should not be added.