Should I put this in the "special circumstances" section of my supplemental app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirtle123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am filling out my supplemental application for Texas A&M COP right now and I don't know if I should include this in the "special circumstances" section.

I began to experience jaw pain, blurry vision and a migraine during the reading section of my PCAT. I couldn't focus on the articles I was reading at all. I ended up with a 6% on reading and a 74% composite.

I don't want the admissions committee to think that I cannot read and speak English. But I am afraid that they would think I am just making an excuse.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be wary of doing that much detail. I think just saying that you developed a migraine during the test would be sufficient, and maybe retake the exam.

I am filling out my supplemental application for Texas A&M COP right now and I don't know if I should include this in the "special circumstances" section.

I began to experience jaw pain, blurry vision and a migraine during the reading section of my PCAT. I couldn't focus on the articles I was reading at all. I ended up with a 6% on reading and a 74% composite.

I don't want the admissions committee to think that I cannot read and speak English. But I am afraid that they would think I am just making an excuse.

What do you guys think?

I'm kind of in your shoes in terms of screwing up on the second part of the PCAT. I had a massive headache during the second half of the exam and my score plummeted (especially reading score). I still managed an 84% composite because I scored in the 90's on the first 3 sections. I called several schools and they told me that I might just be okay, since I have a 91 on the verbal, so I'm not completely illiterate. :D How did you do on your verbal? If you had a high verbal and writing score, then it shouldn't hurt you too much, especially if your top choices don't have cutoffs for each subtest.

Also, I chose not to use the "special circumstances" as I don't want it to seem like it's an excuse. If they don't take me, then oh well. I'll just retake the PCAT and reapply if I have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 78% on my verbal. I think your composite is very good. I only scored high on math and biology and got a 4 on the essay.

As long as the schools don't have cutoffs for each subtest, I think you should be fine as for as the PCAT goes. A 78 VA and a 6 RC doesn't really check out, at least in my opinion... As student who do really poorly on RC often do just as bad on the VA. It's up to you if you choose to explain it under the "special circumstances." However, if the rest of your application is solid, then you shouldn't have too much to worry about. If you're really paranoid like me, then sign up for a retake. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the special circumstances section for stuff like major life changes - career change, surgery, or major illnesses, or coming from a socioeconomic disadvantaged family?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the special circumstances section for stuff like major life changes - career change, surgery, or major illnesses, or coming from a socioeconomic disadvantaged family?

I agree with you Wallace that the special circumstances should be a situation that is long-lasting or major changes. Admission committees probably will not care how tired you were at the end of the PCATs because everyone goes through the same thing. Your scores appear to be just fine so do not worry too much.

I agree that it should be used for "major" life changes, but is not limited to those. So I don't think it would be wrong if the OP chooses to use it to explain his situation during the PCAT. Ultimately, it's up to the AdComs to decide on that one. I wouldn't recommend putting it though, as it will just look more like an excuse. :D

Last edited:
I agree that it should be used for "major" life changes, but is not limited to those. So I don't think it would be wrong if the OP chooses to use it to explain his situation during the PCAT. Ultimately, it's up to the AdComs to decide on that one. I wouldn't recommend putting it though, as it will just look more like an excuse. :D

:thumbup:

What do you guys think?

Unless you can get a medical reference, I would not, and just retake the exam if you really need to.