Should I quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

game24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG and I recently took step 1 and got a score of 183 due to testing anxiety. My scores on the NBME forms were 200+. The main problem with me is I completed basic sciences on April 2011 and only took the exam on October
8, 2012 due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Clinical Depression. After trying several medications, I was able to achieve remission on July 2, 2012 with TMS therapy. I was advised by the physician that I may need to get the procedure done every year. Can I still get residency despite the long layoff, past medical history, and failure on my 1st step 1 attempt? Also should I disclose my past medical history to residency programs even though it is not on my record? FYI even after the failed step one attempt I am
perfectly normal with no symptoms of GAD and clinical depression.

Members don't see this ad.

I am compelled to answer this question only because I have strong feelings about this. I think it is plain simply wrong for med students to be on anxiety, sleep disorders, depression and ADHD drugs. It seems like a lot of ppl in my class are on them. This whole med school process is very stressful to everyone and there is something wrong with that. In other words, we need to fix what is broken, not the symptoms. I myself refuse to go on meds even if that means I am risking my chances of getting good grades, great board scores and a great residency spot. Not worth it, nope. Take care of yourself and your own well being. Life is too short. I am a parent and there is no way my child is going on any of these meds just to get through school. For all I care, he can become a farmer, I will be happy with it.

Honestly, as an IMG it will be quite difficult to find a US residency spot with failed step attempts and would need to apply to many, many programs in non-competitive fields (i.e. primary care) to garner enough interviews. The gap would need to be explained, although you could be generic about it. You also need some clinical experience in the US with LORs.

Moving to international forum as OP is not yet in residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an IMG and I recently took step 1 and got a score of 183 due to testing anxiety. My scores on the NBME forms were 200+. The main problem with me is I completed basic sciences on April 2011 and only took the exam on October
8, 2012 due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Clinical Depression. After trying several medications, I was able to achieve remission on July 2, 2012 with TMS therapy. I was advised by the physician that I may need to get the procedure done every year. Can I still get residency despite the long layoff, past medical history, and failure on my 1st step 1 attempt? Also should I disclose my past medical history to residency programs even though it is not on my record? FYI even after the failed step one attempt I am

I'm not going to try toanswer the should you quit question because only you can come up with that based on what's going on in your head. I will tell you though that you should try to maintain perspective that a lot of residents and med students don't quite get early on and that is that medicine is a job and should not be your whole life or the determinant as to whether you are happy or not. Also, I once tried some antidepressants for what I thought was feeling a little down and found they didn't help me anything like running/walking (not saying you shouldn't take them but maybe in addition to run/walking if you are going to take them). I'm a hospitalist now and I ran in residency at the local park and now I walk/run about 10 miles 3 or 4 times a week while I'm not working through some bike trails at our local park and it is something I look forward to almost every day. It helps me clear my head get rid of stress and keep the weight off. Also I would suggest if you do take up this to do it in a nice place not some place with a lot of exhaust and sprawl.

Last edited:

This may sound strange coming from medical student talking to someone in pre-pharmacy, but try changing your diet first. Avoid animal proteins and processed foods and that should help with the depression and anxiety. Even though I'm studying medicine I still approach health in a K.I.S.S. fashion. Diet and exercise play a vital role in our mental health. I live a vegan lifestyle (mainly raw) and I always have enough energy to study, work out, and socialize.

As for disclosing your history, I would still suggest you focus on getting better. Worrying about the "what-if's" are only going to make things worse on you. Focus on your health. Without your health, you are not going to be able to do much, let alone a residency program.

I took the step 1 exam once and I am in a Caribbean medical that has rotations in the United States.

This may sound strange coming from medical student talking to someone in pre-pharmacy, but try changing your diet first. Avoid animal proteins and processed foods and that should help with the depression and anxiety. Even though I'm studying medicine I still approach health in a K.I.S.S. fashion. Diet and exercise play a vital role in our mental health. I live a vegan lifestyle (mainly raw) and I always have enough energy to study, work out, and socialize.

As for disclosing your history, I would still suggest you focus on getting better. Worrying about the "what-if's" are only going to make things worse on you. Focus on your health. Without your health, you are not going to be able to do much, let alone a residency program.

I currently have no problems due to transcranial magnetic stimulation (tms) therapy.
I no longer need any medication and worse case scenario I may need to do the
procedure every year. http://neurostar.com/nondrug-treatment-for-depression/?gclid=COTSg4ODxbMCFUdxQgodHkAAoA

Honestly, as an IMG it will be quite difficult to find a US residency spot with failed step attempts and would need to apply to many, many programs in non-competitive fields (i.e. primary care) to garner enough interviews. The gap would need to be explained, although you could be generic about it. You also need some clinical experience in the US with LORs.

Moving to international forum as OP is not yet in residency.

I need advice from residents.

I need advice from residents.

If you decide to go through residency. Try to kick but on the step. You could try a mild dose of a benzo on some practice tests to see if it might help or at least not hurt if the test anxiety is extreme. I suspect studying hard enough to know the stuff stone cold would be a better idea. Apply to a bunch of programs if not accepted do today's equivalent of the scramble. Don't know if or how that has changed to find a program that didn't fill.