Medical Should I reapply this cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applicant for the 2018-2019 cycle. I am an ORM Male from the northeast. I applied to around 16 schools only got 3 interviews and was waitlisted at all 3. I think that part of the issue may have been my interviewing. This cycle has been really stressing me out and I am wondering if it was worth it to reapply considering that the cycle starts soon. I have a 512 MCAT (128/128/128/128), 3.63 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA. I think if I were to reapply, I would double the schools to maybe 35-37 schools would this be a good a way to increase my odds?

Activites
Tutoring : 600 hours
Volunteer Tutoring: 60 hours
Clinical Service : 250 hours
Food Shelter: 60 hours
Community volunteering: 120 hours
Shadowing: 60 hours

Schools I applied to last cycle were:
NYMC
Tufts
Uconn
Quinnipiac
BU
Drexel
Temple
Rochester
Jefferson
George Washington
George Town
Einstein
Hofstra
University of Vermont
Darthmouth

Schools for the upcoming cycle
UConn
Einstein
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Tufts
George Town
Albany
Rowan
Vermont
George Washington
Wake Forest
Tulane
Medical College of Wisconson
Oakland Buemont
Wright State
FAU
EVMS
Emory
Carle
Nova Southeastern
Loyala
Rush
Miami Miller
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana University School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Kaiser
California North State
A larger list isn't going to fix your problems if they are how you interview. You'll burn yourself out doing 35+ apps anyway.

You have too many OOD public schools ont he list that highly favor the home team anyway, so those would be donations:
Carle
Rowan
Rush
FAU
Indiana University School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine

I can't recommend CN"u".

"only" three interviews is a sign that your app is a good one.
As a reapplicant, you need DO schools on your list.

Members don't see this ad.

So Carle (engineering based medicine curriculum) was specifically chosen because 28/32 students came from OOS students and as an engineer major working in engineering, I really resonated with the school. Rowan, I have a connection with the area and I volunteer at the hospital (I work in philly). Would it still be advisable to still send in the application?
Carle might be OK then, but I'm never impressed when people say they have ties or a connection, so I'm still advising against Rowan.

So Carle (engineering based medicine curriculum) was specifically chosen because 28/32 students came from OOS students and as an engineer major working in engineering, I really resonated with the school.
Carle Illinois may be a good choice for you, not just due to your engineering background, but also if you can demonstrate good outcomes with engineering projects, an entrepreneurial spirit, and/or creative thinking "outside the box" when it comes to solving problems (per LORs). Bonus points for a patent pending.

Status
Not open for further replies.