Should I reapply to med school before my masters program is complete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aspiring_id

New Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to many medical schools during the 2017-2018 cycle and was unfortunately not accepted. My MCAT score is competitive enough, but my GPA needs some work. I have decided to pursue an MPH in the meantime, which should hopefully boost my GPA, and will begin this August. However, the program is two years. Should I apply for the 2018-2019 med school application cycle before I've even begun the masters program? Does it look bad to apply for a Fall 2019 spot if I'm in a two-year program? I would gladly leave the MPH to go to medical school. Would applying to a dual degree MD/MPH or DO/MPH look better? Thanks in advance!
 
I think most medical schools require that if you are in a master's program (or PhD) you finish that program before starting med school. SO, if you'd be done with the masters before presumably starting med school, you'd probably be okay but should know the MPH GPA won't matter much as grad =/= ugrad when under consideration, especially since an MPH is typically non-hard science.

YMMV & requisite, imo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you required to finish said Master's before matriculating into med school?

THAT is the question, not whether you can apply and be accepted.

In the case of most people who apply to med school while getting a Master’s completion of it is USUALLY a requirement.