MD Should I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FukedupAgain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I applied this cycle and received 9 II and resulted in 6 rejections and 3 waitlist (applied 12 schools).

School list
Tufts
MCW
Penn
Wakeforest
Loyola
Rosalind
UIC
Rush
Ohio State
St. Louis
Mayo
Drexel

Here are my stats and extracurriculars:

Major: Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor: Physics (I know but really enjoy astrology)

cGPA: 3.94
sGPA: 3.82
MCAT Total: 519 (131/127/131/130)
LizzyM~ 75-77
IL resident and URM (mom is Puerto Rican)

-Over 300 hours of volunteering in the hospital
-Around 50 hours of shadowing (primary care and nephrologist)
-Over 1000 hours research experience (independent neuroscience project with senior thesis/first author pub) gave 3 oral talks and many poster presentations.
-Over 200 hours of non-clinical volunteering (tutoring elementary school kids, service trips, president of red cross club)
-Lots of awards and scholarships

I know that I lack important social traits hence the 6 rejections post-II. I just really want to become a doctor and I worked my butt off to get my stats where they need to be and now I find myself very depressed that I have yet to get 1 acceptance. Everyone I spoke to said I should absolutely get accepted somewhere. I don't know what to do if I don't get off the waitlist this cycle. Should I apply DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Invest in mock interviews and, if necessary, counseling aimed at improving your social skills. You have the GPA, MCAT, research and extracurriculars to make you competitive for medical school, so something went wrong with the interviewing. Not gaining an acceptance from 9 interviews is not normal. 12 schools is also a rather small number to apply to - apply to 25-30 next time - and keep attending interviews until you gain an acceptance. Reapply to every school that interviewed you this cycle and to some of the other schools that you're competitive for, which is almost all of them. I recommend Einstein, BU, Case Western, Columbia, Hofstra, Duke, Emory, Dartmouth, Mt. Sinai, USC, Brown, UPitt, URoch, USF, Jefferson. I don't see why you should apply to DO schools, since your problem seemed to be with interviewing. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agree 100% with DubbiDoctor. You have killer stats, but as a physician you will need to be able to effectively communicate with others. Mock interviews are a great idea - talk with your schools advising office and see if they offer this. Apply to more schools next time This process is at times a numbers game.

What schools are you waitlisted at? There should be plenty of waitlist movement the next month. Drexel and Wake forest are two schools that have a lot of waitlist movement. Wish you the best of luck!

Additionally, even if you get an acceptance and start medical school this coming fall, start working on your social skills this is something you will not be able to avoid.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with both Dr. Meliodas and DubbiDoctor - they have great points. If you don't get in off your waitlists (and assuming that you're a senior this year) I'd get a gap year job where you have to interact with others and work on social skills. It could be being a scribe or even being a waiter or a bartender. Working as a scribe will expose you to how doctors relate to patients. You might be able to get the doctors to do mock interviews with you. Don't work in a lab. But perhaps a clinical research coordinator or something where you have to interact with both patients and co-workers.

Reactions: 1 users