Should I Reconsider Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really want to ask the dentist I shadow in case I end up applying to dental school but I get so @#%^ing bored when shadowing. I get the whole "you're watching not doing" thing, but I can't even see myself being a "small business owner" and working in a dental office. Is it a bad sign that I'm so bored right now?

Members don't see this ad.

If youre bored youre bored. It's human nature. If you are a fan of the job security and quality of life, then stick with it. If not, then find something you love. You remember that saying, Do something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.

I don't really want to ask the dentist I shadow in case I end up applying to dental school but I get so @#%^ing bored when shadowing. I get the whole "you're watching not doing" thing, but I can't even see myself being a "small business owner" and working in a dental office. Is it a bad sign that I'm so bored right now?

Dude, I'm sure you're a smart guy. Maybe look into medicine then. If you have a good GPA then you'll still have a good shot at getting into medical school if that excites you. If that doesn't work, then maybe try law? I know a few science majors that went into law and absolutely LOVE it. Think about it, there are few science majors in law, which means less competition for you. Just some food for thought if you are looking into other stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd stick with something science oriented. Law school is a very dangerous option in todays economy

Patent law is an extremely competitive area of law (often requiring a masters or PHD in a hard science) and top 10% grades from a top 14 school. I know a lot of people graduating from law school with back breaking debt and no job. Thats what happens when 50,000 students graduate from law school each year. Thank god the ADA protects the dental profession.

shadowing and practicing are so incredibly at the opposite ends of the spectrum. shadowing is boring unless you're watching a very interesting and/or uncommon procedure. When you start being the guy responsible, it's a whole 'nother world.

honestly, i'm scared to death about the idea of running my own practice and I'm hoping that I can leave that stuff to an office manager or otherwise outsource it. There are definitely sucky parts to dentistry, but lemme tell ya, when I get that drill in my hands and start cutting teeth, all is right with the world :)

shadowing and practicing are so incredibly at the opposite ends of the spectrum. shadowing is boring unless you're watching a very interesting and/or uncommon procedure. When you start being the guy responsible, it's a whole 'nother world.

honestly, i'm scared to death about the idea of running my own practice and I'm hoping that I can leave that stuff to an office manager or otherwise outsource it. There are definitely sucky parts to dentistry, but lemme tell ya, when I get that drill in my hands and start cutting teeth, all is right with the world :)

I have to agree, I have shadowed and it is so boring, except during extractions and what not. But i think when you actually do the work, and start really affecting people's lives ( I say that as if people appreciate dentists)

Let me put it this way may be it might change your perspective:

Its like you looking at your friend playing video game. At first 2-5 mins it might seem exciting then you get bored.

When you get to play the game you will never be bored.

& No, there are no signs. Its hard to predict your own abilities in future b/c you mature so much during this age. I wouldnt worry about it just observe and keep stuff in your mind. Keep the goal in your head and why you want it.

Dont listen to all the people trying to trow you tangentially away from your circle.

one time while i was shadowing, the dentist was trying to carve/sand an area of a patient's denture that was pushing against her gums (which caused the area to swell). he tried a couple times but the patient still felt the pressure. i had the urge of just sayin "hey doc, could i give it a try?" lol. but no, had to just stick with watching...

Watching will always be more boring than doing. Ever watched a nascar race? Watching a car drive around a circle for 500 miles isn't very exciting. Driving a car 200 miles an hour inches next to 30 other cards going 200 miles an hour? That would be prety fun.

Anyways, one of the dentist i shadowed awhile back let me play with his new diode laser machine. that was the only hands on experience i got during my time there and it was fun burning pieces of paper lol

I gotta agree with the others on this thread. There's nothing like getting to do the work yourself!! When I am actually getting in a mouth and cleaning teeth, it's fun for me! It's when you take a different perspective when the job is really enjoyable.

Yup, it's a totally different experience when you're doing the work yourself. I could sit and do amalgams for hours on my dentoform (in a patient's mouth is another story).

If you live near a city find out when the regional dental convention is and get a badge for the exhibit hall. They often have student rates. There are a lot of booths for dental practice management and the reps are very approachable. They can tell you what services they offer so that you have an idea of what your options will be when you open your own practice. I would warn against having your front office manager run your practice (good managers are hard to find).

If you wanted to spend a little extra on your badge you could sit in on C.E. courses too!