Should I reschedule my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaggyb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DAT is in less than two days (Tuesday the 8th). Today i took the 2009 DAT and got the following scores:

Bio:19
Chem:19
Ochem:18
Reading:19
PAT:22
Math: n/a (i feel solid about this so I didn't bother with it)

I thought i was a lot more prepared for ochem and my gen chem score should have really been >20, but i made a ton of careless errors. I was also just 1 question shy of getting 20s in bio, chem and reading. Do you think that I should reschedule my DAT? I know its already late in the cycle and I'm honestly so tired of studying for this test already. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget the fact that there are many mistakes in the 2009- did you account for these?
And, what are your bootcamp scores like?

They were kind of accounted for... i found the 2009 version online so i didn't have all the corrections for them, but I found some on this website.

And my bootcamp scores were about the same... for Bio, chem, reading and Ochem they were pretty much all 19s across the board. QR averaged to about a 20. PAT is solid. Im honestly freaking out right now in my room deciding whether i should keep cramming for the next 24 hours or if I should just take the test on tuesday.

I have a great GPA, but I'm really worried about this test...

Well I'm in the same boat as you lol (test Wed, my GPA is super high, so I too need a score to prove my uni didn't inflate grades). Say if you were to reschedule, is there a date available that would work/not be too late?
I guess like, what's the earliest you could take it if you push it back. My center is like all booked for August so I couldn't postpone if I wanted to. Are you able to though?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How far would you say the latest to reschedule should be? I might have to reschedule...

Just a heads up you will have to pay the rescheduling fee before you have access to the available dates to reschedule, or at least as far as I know you have to.

Well I'm in the same boat as you lol (test Wed, my GPA is super high, so I too need a score to prove my uni didn't inflate grades). Say if you were to reschedule, is there a date available that would work/not be too late?
I guess like, what's the earliest you could take it if you push it back. My center is like all booked for August so I couldn't postpone if I wanted to. Are you able to though?

There are openings three weeks down the line on August 30th but id have to miss a day of school. However after freaking out for a few hours I think I'm just going to take it and hope for the best. How is your studying going? what kind of scores are you getting on your practice tests?

Just a heads up you will have to pay the rescheduling fee before you have access to the available dates to reschedule, or at least as far as I know you have to.
I rescheduled mine about two weeks ago due to a vacation and I was able to pick my day before I paid.

There are openings three weeks down the line on August 30th but id have to miss a day of school. However after freaking out for a few hours I think I'm just going to take it and hope for the best. How is your studying going? what kind of scores are you getting on your practice tests?
Haha my studying is going well I would say, I have been through bio destroyer twice, once for all others, and didn't start BC until I had finished destroyer so I'm scoring around 23s on avg for bio, and 22s for the chems. Others, ~20PAT & RC; 24QR. All averages, done about 6 of 10 tests. Have you gone through destroyer? I'd say if you haven't..then go through each question quickly, and go through each solution quickly, should take a couple of hours like 6-7 if you go 3bio/2gc/2oc. Math if you're good then I'd suggest just looking at the QC problems that were released by destroyer, and I don't have any advice really for reading...I love reading but I really dislike these dense articles lol about boring stuff like what's a Piltdown man!? (BC). Also, PAT just practice your weaknesses on the generators as much as you possibly can today, but don't forget to sleep early eat a good breakfast and bring good snacks! You've been studying hard for this, you'll do great!

Reactions: 2 users
How far would you say the latest to reschedule should be? I might have to reschedule...
Honestly, if it's your first time, I'd say don't venture past the end of August. If it's a retake (and you took earlier this year, say June and the earliest you could take would be 90days = September), on the other hand, then I think some schools are a little more lenient for late scores. But, don't forget that it takes time for the ADA to process your scores, post them up, and then link them to your application. I've seen on some threads that some schools accept unofficial scores, so you can call/email/ask the schools you're applying to if that's okay. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
My 2009 scores were pretty accurate compared to my dat. I would say if you want over a 20 to push it back. I pushed mine back and in the end was happy I did.

Honestly, if it's your first time, I'd say don't venture past the end of August. If it's a retake (and you took earlier this year, say June and the earliest you could take would be 90days = September), on the other hand, then I think some schools are a little more lenient for late scores. But, don't forget that it takes time for the ADA to process your scores, post them up, and then link them to your application. I've seen on some threads that some schools accept unofficial scores, so you can call/email/ask the schools you're applying to if that's okay. Hope this helps!

Thank you! Would you or anyone else know if you should do the 2007/2009 tests timed or untimed?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry about that, I did not mean to give any misinformation. That was just what I understood when I rescheduled mine.

No worries, I didn't think you were being misleading, I just wanted to let you know there should be ways around that. Let me know if you need help rescheduling in the future!

Haha my studying is going well I would say, I have been through bio destroyer twice, once for all others, and didn't start BC until I had finished destroyer so I'm scoring around 23s on avg for bio, and 22s for the chems. Others, ~20PAT & RC; 24QR. All averages, done about 6 of 10 tests. Have you gone through destroyer? I'd say if you haven't..then go through each question quickly, and go through each solution quickly, should take a couple of hours like 6-7 if you go 3bio/2gc/2oc. Math if you're good then I'd suggest just looking at the QC problems that were released by destroyer, and I don't have any advice really for reading...I love reading but I really dislike these dense articles lol about boring stuff like what's a Piltdown man!? (BC). Also, PAT just practice your weaknesses on the generators as much as you possibly can today, but don't forget to sleep early eat a good breakfast and bring good snacks! You've been studying hard for this, you'll do great!

UPDATE:

Just got out of my test. Scores aren't amazing but I'm happy with them!!! Considering I was expecting an AA of 19 and maybe barely 20 I am so relieved and happy.

Bio: 18
Gen Chem: 20
Ochem: 23
RC: 24
QR: 18 ran out of time :(
AA: 21!!!!!!
TS: 20

Dat Bootcamp and the 2009 DAT were a lot harder than my real DAT

RC was ALOT easier than Bootcamp.

Good luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 4 users
UPDATE:

Just got out of my test. Scores aren't amazing but I'm happy with them!!! Considering I was expecting an AA of 19 and maybe barely 20 I am so relieved and happy.

Good luck everyone!!!
Good job!!! I don't think you'll have to retake so yay! You're DONE!!! Congrats!
How was your PAT btw and was bio hard?

Good job!!! I don't think you'll have to retake so yay! You're DONE!!! Congrats!
How was your PAT btw and was bio hard?

Thanks!!! I actually thought that bio was easier but for some reason I did the worst on it :/. PAT was hard imo too... there were some weird TFE. Good luck on your test tomorrow! Lmk how it goes

UPDATE:

Good luck everyone!!!
Yay! Congratulations! Solid scores!

UPDATE:

Good luck everyone!!!
Congratulations! I think your scores are fantastic and a huge plus is you don't have any low scores. Dental schools like consistent scores. Thanks for sharing and wish you the best.

Dr. Romano and Nancy

UPDATE:

Good luck everyone!!!
Yay congrats! these are awesome scores!!! Ik you ran out of time on QR but would you say it was similar to bootcamp?

Awesome job! I'm taking my test in a month! Any advice for Bio section? I'm using Destroyer and other notes recommended from SDN. Seems like the section is so broad there isn't much else you can do. Let me know your thoughts!

Yay congrats! these are awesome scores!!! Ik you ran out of time on QR but would you say it was similar to bootcamp?

It's about the same difficulty to Bootcamp and probably a little easier. You just have to hustle. Got stuck on one question and it ruined it for me.

It's about the same difficulty to Bootcamp and probably a little easier. You just have to hustle. Got stuck on one question and it ruined it for me.
I mean you still did really really well and since all your other scores are on point and schools don't seem to be caring much about QR I wouldn't worry about it too much (don't know if you are lol, thought i'd put it out there!) But another question, do you think I should just stick with bootcamp then? or maybe other resources are more useful?

I mean you still did really really well and since all your other scores are on point and schools don't seem to be caring much about QR I wouldn't worry about it too much (don't know if you are lol, thought i'd put it out there!) But another question, do you think I should just stick with bootcamp then? or maybe other resources are more useful?
I only studied Bootcamp and destroyer! For ochem the destroyer really really helped me!! For Bootcamp I would just take the practice tests and then look over what I got wrong and watched the videos that explained them. Good luck!