Should I reschedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a problem. I have two lab reports, one essay, and two midterms a few days before my October 25th MCAT. I really want to study more. I took a Kaplan test and scored a 21. 10 verbal reasoning, 6 bioscience, and 5 physical science. I panicked, wondering if my whole summer of intense studying was for naught. But then I took a breath and decided I need to take an AAMC test. And to also make sure to go back and memorize small details, like exact units and the exact number of things (not just the names!) coming out of cellular respiration.

I can still reschedule by the 9th. Tomorrow I am taking an AAMC test.

Question 1:
If I score low, would you think it would be a good idea to try to reschedule until January? Keep studying now and really crush it over Christmas break?

Question 2: If I do poorly on the 2014 one, do you think I could benefit from the 2015 one? I am very knowledgeable in psychology and the social sciences. Not to mention, after a semester of biochemistry, it would be fresh on my mind. Plus I'm mediocre at physics.

Question 3: Should I just take the October 25th one anyway, and if I do poorly, start gearing up for the 2015 immediately.

Thanks in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I have a problem. I have two lab reports, one essay, and two midterms a few days before my October 25th MCAT. I really want to study more. I took a Kaplan test and scored a 21. 10 verbal reasoning, 6 bioscience, and 5 physical science. I panicked, wondering if my whole summer of intense studying was for naught. But then I took a breath and decided I need to take an AAMC test. And to also make sure to go back and memorize small details, like exact units and the exact number of things (not just the names!) coming out of cellular respiration.

I can still reschedule by the 9th. Tomorrow I am taking an AAMC test.

Question 1:
If I score low, would you think it would be a good idea to try to reschedule until January? Keep studying now and really crush it over Christmas break?

Question 2: If I do poorly on the 2014 one, do you think I could benefit from the 2015 one? I am very knowledgeable in psychology and the social sciences. Not to mention, after a semester of biochemistry, it would be fresh on my mind. Plus I'm mediocre at physics.

Question 3: Should I just take the October 25th one anyway, and if I do poorly, start gearing up for the 2015 immediately.

Thanks in advanced.

You clearly are in no position to take the MCAT if you scored a 21. Even if it's a Kaplan test, this signifies severe deficiencies in content knowledge and application. Did you go through all your content and practice passages consistently throughout the summer?

Yes. I read through each Kaplan book twice. Rewrote each section as I went along. Took the quiz at the end of each section. Flipped flashcards from Kaplan for an hour before bed every night. I think I scored a 23 on the Kaplan diagnostic a year ago so I have no idea why the practice test would be worse. Hence my wanting to rely on the AAMC one more. I'll report back whenever that gets done tomorrow but in the meantime, answering my questions would be more appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 3 is free, take that ASAP and then decide. MCAT is something where "better safe than sorry" is the mantra - if you aren't happy with your practice AAMC then you should delay

Yes. I read through each Kaplan book twice. Rewrote each section as I went along. Took the quiz at the end of each section. Flipped flashcards from Kaplan for an hour before bed every night. I think I scored a 23 on the Kaplan diagnostic a year ago so I have no idea why the practice test would be worse. Hence my wanting to rely on the AAMC one more. I'll report back whenever that gets done tomorrow but in the meantime, answering my questions would be more appreciated.

I don't see any indication of doing practice passages in your studying. If you don't do practice passages, you might as well not have done the content review. You are not actively applying the material in a way that will help you on the MCAT. That's why you haven't made ANY progress at all.

Start doing practice passages on everything ASAP. Reschedule your exam if you don't have enough time to do so.

AAMC 3 is free, take that ASAP and then decide. MCAT is something where "better safe than sorry" is the mantra - if you aren't happy with your practice AAMC then you should delay

Disagree. OP is obviously going to do terribly on it seeing as they have not done any passages at all during their content review and did horrendously on a practice exam arguably easier on the curve than the AAMC. It would be a waste of a valuable AAMC on something that even I can predict.

I agree with Aerus - I should've noticed the lack of practice passages. Save the real deal AAMC full lengths until you have a few dozen practice passages under your belt for each section type. Before that it will be demoralizing and a waste.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so I just took an AAMC practice test, number 3.

I scored 26. I got 7 physical sciences, 11 verbal reasoning and 8 biological sciences.

I really want around a 28-30. I have 19 days until my exam. I'm going to be spending about a week of that on school work. But I'll probably have 12, 12 hour days to study. Consisting of as many practice tests as I can take, going over each question to see why I got it wrong, and completing those 1000 question books (I'm about halfway in all of them.)

Well that be enough to boost me two-four points. Advice after this update?

(Also, I completed the physical on time, verbal reasoning ten minutes early, and the Biology one 25 minutes early (honest to God). I feel like on the real test I'd go back and redo stuff. But I was so hungry I didn't feel like going back, and my mind works a lot better under pressure. I also couldn't get the darn periodic table to open so I went without.)

I also noticed chugging caffeine during my ten minute breaks allowed me to be a lot more focused. My eyes glazed over a lot during my initial practice test. I'm a caffeine dependent creature.

Last edited:
Reschedule.

Verbal is the least content review, most reasoning/intelligence dependant section. Many people getting 13+ on sciences struggle to get 10+ verbal. your scores indicate you are plenty bright but need a good deal more science review and practice.

Could you get a 28? Yeah, good chance. But with a longer time to devote to practicing sciences you could get more like 32. the science sections respond very well to practice and review.

My .02

Edit: let me throw some numbers at you

Your verbal score is 95th percentile
Your science scores are around 40th percentile

Clearly you need to give yourself time to boost those sciences up . If you performed the same on science as verbal you'd be looking at a 35

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try and reschedule to one in January. Unless I can't find an open one, then I'm just going to stick to the October 25th date. Although I'd be happy with a 28, if you think there is a chance I could do better, it would probably be in my best interest. A higher score is always better.

I think I was hesitant to reschedule because I wanted to get this over and done with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try and reschedule to one in January. Unless I can't find an open one, then I'm just going to stick to the October 25th date. Although I'd be happy with a 28, if you think there is a chance I could do better, it would probably be in my best interest. A higher score is always better.

I think I was hesitant to reschedule because I wanted to get this over and done with.

Don't procrastinate on that. January is the last chance for the old MCAT and spots are already being filled up where I live - in fact, some towns near me were already taken by mid-September. Good Luck OP!

Seconded on awetmop's point - the January slots are going to be filled well ahead of time from all the people realizing how little prep material is available for MCAT 2015.

The MCAT isn't something to rush through unprepared just to get it done. A few extra points can get you in when you wouldn't have otherwise (especially when you're right on the cusp of 30) or considerably boost the range of schools you'd be applying to (if you ended up with a 34 by pulling your sciences up to match verbal for example).

And there aren't any reschedule dates left . . . Only left in Guam and Wisconsin. Well, that do or die pressure might come in handy.

Look at some neighboring locations. There have been a lot of people talking about driving/flying to visit someone over winter break and taking it at the new city.

And there aren't any reschedule dates left . . . Only left in Guam and Wisconsin. Well, that do or die pressure might come in handy.

well look at this way, you're a psych major so the social sciences section should be an advantage for you, yes? Anyhoo, the reason why a lot of spots got taken over for my hometown is because many Canadians take it when the big cities like Toronto and Montreal are full... When I took mine in August, 3 of the 18 test-takers drove from Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
well look at this way, you're a psych major so the social sciences section should be an advantage for you, yes? Anyhoo, the reason why a lot of spots got taken over for my hometown is because many Canadians take it when the big cities like Toronto and Montreal are full... When I took mine in August, 3 of the 18 test-takers drove from Canada.
Yeah, if I have to take the 2015 one, it will suck, but I will have a unique background that gives me a slight edge. And like I said, the pressure might come in handy that this is the last pre-2015 one. I always seem to do my best under pressure.

Yeah, if I have to take the 2015 one, it will suck, but I will have a unique background that gives me a slight edge. And like I said, the pressure might come in handy that this is the last pre-2015 one. I always seem to do my best under pressure.

At least you can qualify for Indiana University if you do the 2015 MCAT. =P