Wondering if I should reschedule...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topwoodsfan27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a non-traditional rising senior planning to apply to some of the top tier MD schools next cycle.
Current stats include 4.0 across the board at both my current and original university, solid research, extracurriculars, leadership, work experience, and working to increase patient hours.
I'm scheduled for my first MCAT on 8/14. Part of the non-traditional thing happens to be some chronic health problems, one of which decided to flare up for the last few months. I can admit that I'm certainly not in the best headspace for active learning as a result.
I've been working my way through the self paced Blueprint course since mid-June, but I'm just not where I want to be just yet... and overall just feeling crappy. I've scored a 508 (126/127/128/128) on AAMC FL1, and a 506 (127/125/127/127 and 126/125/128/127) on the first two Blueprint full lengths at this point. I'd like to reach a 520+ but would say my realistic goal score is a 518 or so.
I have 11 days left to study, and I do have some renewed motivation.. but I'm also on week 9 of having a chronic low grade fever and I only have so much energy. So... do I postpone? Or should I give it my all the next 10 days and see what happens?
I'm normally not one to back down from a goal.. so I'm really torn about this.
I can postpone and find a date in September, which may give me a slight chance to study more, but I'll be back in classes soon so I'm not sure there'd be a marked improvement. Or, I could cancel and try again in January. I mean, I would still have time to retake it if needed before applying.
I'd love anyone's advice about postponing, the pros/cons of having a low score followed later by a higher one, taking it in the fall v. spring... anything!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried AAMC FL’s? They’re the closest thing to the real deal. I highly suggest using those AAMC materials, if you haven’t done so. Regardless, medical schools aren’t going anywhere, and you should perfect your application and bolster your stats as high as possible, if you’re aiming to attend top tier MD programs. Also, I’m a little concerned that you’re saying 518 is a “realistic goal.” Last time I checked 518 is in the 97th percentile, which is very, very difficult to achieve. With your stats, I would say 515+ is the more realistic goal for the top tier MD programs you’re aiming for. Just my two cents.

Hey all,
I'm a non-traditional rising senior planning to apply to some of the top tier MD schools next cycle.
Current stats include 4.0 across the board at both my current and original university, solid research, extracurriculars, leadership, work experience, and working to increase patient hours.
I'm scheduled for my first MCAT on 8/14. Part of the non-traditional thing happens to be some chronic health problems, one of which decided to flare up for the last few months. I can admit that I'm certainly not in the best headspace for active learning as a result.
I've been working my way through the self paced Blueprint course since mid-June, but I'm just not where I want to be just yet... and overall just feeling crappy. I've scored a 508 (126/127/128/128) on AAMC FL1, and a 506 (127/125/127/127 and 126/125/128/127) on the first two Blueprint full lengths at this point. I'd like to reach a 520+ but would say my realistic goal score is a 518 or so.
I have 11 days left to study, and I do have some renewed motivation.. but I'm also on week 9 of having a chronic low grade fever and I only have so much energy. So... do I postpone? Or should I give it my all the next 10 days and see what happens?
I'm normally not one to back down from a goal.. so I'm really torn about this.
I can postpone and find a date in September, which may give me a slight chance to study more, but I'll be back in classes soon so I'm not sure there'd be a marked improvement. Or, I could cancel and try again in January. I mean, I would still have time to retake it if needed before applying.
I'd love anyone's advice about postponing, the pros/cons of having a low score followed later by a higher one, taking it in the fall v. spring... anything!
Thanks!
If you're not feeling well and you're not applying now, it just seems stupid to me for you to just take a shot and see what happens. Top tier schools will be much less forgiving of a sub par score than many other schools (even with a later increase), and you are dreaming if you think you are going to see a 10+ point improvement in less than two weeks while you are sick.

I don't know you, so I have no idea what you are capable of, but this seems like a no brainer to me. Take advantage of the fact that COVID will allow you to get a full refund you would never otherwise be entitled to, kiss whatever prep you have already done goodbye, and pack it in until next year. Under no circumstances should you plan on a retake on the front end. That's what you do after the fact if absolutely necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Top tier schools will be much less forgiving of a sub par score than many other schools (even with a later increase), and you are dreaming if you think you are going to see a 10+ point improvement in less than two weeks while you are sick.

I appreciate the feedback. These are facts that I was already aware of, but I needed someone else to confirm that it was "okay" to cancel. I hate to throw away all of the progress I've made thus far, but will keep working to improve for next year. Given my current circumstances, medical school may even be delayed beyond next cycle, so there really is no rush. Thanks.

I appreciate the feedback. These are facts that I was already aware of, but I needed someone else to confirm that it was "okay" to cancel. I hate to throw away all of the progress I've made thus far, but will keep working to improve for next year. Given my current circumstances, medical school may even be delayed beyond next cycle, so there really is no rush. Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by "okay to cancel." You certainly don't need the permission of strangers on SDN!

If you cancel, as opposed to no show or void, nobody will ever know, so it's not like med schools will see it and hold it against you. Yes, throwing away the effort you have expended so far will suck, but not more than later having to overcome a subpar score. You are aiming high and are not close to your target with less than two weeks to go.

What decision do you really have? You can push back to the end of September for now, and reevaluate later, but what's going to change in the next month, other than school starting up again?