Should I resign from the course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice about my situation. Currently I'm taking a 400-level elective bio class (endocrinology) and the class is more difficult than I anticipated. How would an R look on my transcript if I resigned from this course? I already have one R for calc 2, which I ended up taking the following summer and receiving an A.

Members don't see this ad.

Like how hard? Like " I might Get a C with a lot of work" hard or like "Ugh, I have to do work to get an A" hard? If it's the former then yes, if it's the latter than no.

I think if I work my tail off, I'll get a B at most. The issue is that I haven't taken the prereq (physio) but I spoke with the professor and he let me take this course anyway. I'm not sure if the reason I find the class so difficult is because I don't have the appropriate background or if the class is just simply tough, but the first exam is tomorrow morning and I got about 20% of the practice test correct. o_O

I'm really leaning toward resigning, but I wanted to see your guys' perspectives on whether or not my "excuse" for dropping the class seems valid instead of just making me seem lazy. I applied to dschool this cycle so if I drop, I'm nervous that it'll come up in an interview and impact me negatively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice about my situation. Currently I'm taking a 400-level elective bio class (endocrinology) and the class is more difficult than I anticipated. How would an R look on my transcript if I resigned from this course? I already have one R for calc 2, which I ended up taking the following summer and receiving an A.
You can "resign" from a course?

You can "resign" from a course?
At my university, you can "drop" a course during the first week of classes without penalty but once that window is over it is considered a "resignation" and an R shows up on your transcript for that course.

I think if I work my tail off, I'll get a B at most. The issue is that I haven't taken the prereq (physio) but I spoke with the professor and he let me take this course anyway. I'm not sure if the reason I find the class so difficult is because I don't have the appropriate background or if the class is just simply tough, but the first exam is tomorrow morning and I got about 20% of the practice test correct. o_O

I'm really leaning toward resigning, but I wanted to see your guys' perspectives on whether or not my "excuse" for dropping the class seems valid instead of just making me seem lazy. I applied to dschool this cycle so if I drop, I'm nervous that it'll come up in an interview and impact me negatively.

If you need the course for something and you are a Junior or senior, then you should keep it. If you are really concerned about your GPA the resign, I don't think it will be a big deal. Just be cautious of what you're taking next time.

Key word: ELECTIVE! If you resign, just remember to make the change during the academic update. If it gets brought up in an interview, just explain that you didn't feel confident in the course since you have not taken human physiology which was a prerequisite. They will understand.

Thanks a lot for the advice, guys! More help than my advisor was ;)

Reactions: 1 user