Should I resign from the course?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by TheDanger, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. TheDanger

TheDanger 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice about my situation. Currently I'm taking a 400-level elective bio class (endocrinology) and the class is more difficult than I anticipated. How would an R look on my transcript if I resigned from this course? I already have one R for calc 2, which I ended up taking the following summer and receiving an A.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Weakfart

Weakfart 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Like how hard? Like " I might Get a C with a lot of work" hard or like "Ugh, I have to do work to get an A" hard? If it's the former then yes, if it's the latter than no.

4. TheDanger

TheDanger 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think if I work my tail off, I'll get a B at most. The issue is that I haven't taken the prereq (physio) but I spoke with the professor and he let me take this course anyway. I'm not sure if the reason I find the class so difficult is because I don't have the appropriate background or if the class is just simply tough, but the first exam is tomorrow morning and I got about 20% of the practice test correct. o_O

I'm really leaning toward resigning, but I wanted to see your guys' perspectives on whether or not my "excuse" for dropping the class seems valid instead of just making me seem lazy. I applied to dschool this cycle so if I drop, I'm nervous that it'll come up in an interview and impact me negatively.

5. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You can "resign" from a course?

6. TheDanger

TheDanger 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    At my university, you can "drop" a course during the first week of classes without penalty but once that window is over it is considered a "resignation" and an R shows up on your transcript for that course.

7. Weakfart

Weakfart 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

If you need the course for something and you are a Junior or senior, then you should keep it. If you are really concerned about your GPA the resign, I don't think it will be a big deal. Just be cautious of what you're taking next time.

8. shyfox9p

shyfox9p

Pre-Podiatry
    Key word: ELECTIVE! If you resign, just remember to make the change during the academic update. If it gets brought up in an interview, just explain that you didn't feel confident in the course since you have not taken human physiology which was a prerequisite. They will understand.

9. TheDanger

TheDanger 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks a lot for the advice, guys! More help than my advisor was ;)

shyfox9p likes this.
  10. shyfox9p

shyfox9p

Pre-Podiatry
    "Advisors"... lol

11. Dental2000

Dental2000 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    There are 'Advisers' in Uni? Weird:eek::eek:...

12. TheDanger

TheDanger 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So much banter on this post!

About the ads