Should I restake DAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micpenn4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I just took my DAT for the first time and didn't do as well as I wanted.. I was pretty nervous and standardized tests always give me a tough time.
My scores where:
AA:18
TS:17
OC:18
GC:16
BIO:18
PAT:23
RC:18
QR:19
I used Bootcamp and destroyers for most of my studying and I was getting 21-22AA on the BC practice tests. I think I just let my nerves get the better of me. I have a subpar sGPA:3.3. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take it again, but just wanted to get some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your TS scores are way to low. Your AA is below average for matriculated applicants as well. Your GPA is sub-par too so you would need to take it again. Even if you had a 3.7 GPA with those DAT scores I think your chances would still be slim. If you decide to retake good luck, the second time you will probably score significantly higher.

Your TS scores are way to low. Your AA is below average for matriculated applicants as well. Your GPA is sub-par too so you would need to take it again. Even if you had a 3.7 GPA with those DAT scores I think your chances would still be slim. If you decide to retake good luck, the second time you will probably score significantly higher.
Thanks! I am currently working on getting the GPA in a better spot. What score do you think I should be shooting for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so I just took my DAT for the first time and didn't do as well as I wanted.. I was pretty nervous and standardized tests always give me a tough time.
My scores where:
AA:18
TS:17
OC:18
GC:16
BIO:18
PAT:23
RC:18
I used Bootcamp and destroyers for most of my studying and I was getting 21-22AA on the BC practice tests. I think I just let my nerves get the better of me. I have a subpar sGPA:3.3. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take it again, but just wanted to get some advice!
Hi, thanks for sharing your scores and it does look a retake will be necessary. How did you utilize the DAT and Math Destroyers? Were you using current editions, did you complete all the work in the books. Should you decide to retake please contact me so we can come up with a better plan.

Nancy

Hi, thanks for sharing your scores and it does look a retake will be necessary. How did you utilize the DAT and Math Destroyers? Were you using current editions, did you complete all the work in the books. Should you decide to retake please contact me so we can come up with a better plan.

Nancy
That is what I was figuring. I am going to retake for sure. When should I retake? I believe I will do better next time around because I will be more comfortable with the process. Do you have any insight into the steps to retake the test? I have the 2017 additions of the Math and DAT destroyer. I probably made it through about half of the math, OC, and GC sections.

Nancy
That is what I was figuring. I am going to retake for sure. When should I retake? I believe I will do better next time around because I will be more comfortable with the process. Do you have any insight into the steps to retake the test? I have the 2017 additions of the Math and DAT destroyer. I probably made it through about half of the math, OC, and GC sections

That is what I was figuring. I am going to retake for sure. When should I retake? I believe I will do better next time around because I will be more comfortable with the process. Do you have any insight into the steps to retake the test? I have the 2017 additions of the Math and DAT destroyer. I probably made it through about half of the math, OC, and GC sections
Why did you only complete half the problems?

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you only complete half the problems?
I was honestly focusing on watching Chad's videos doing the associated and taking the Bootcamp practice tests. I just did not make it a priority. Which is something I definitely plan on changing next time around.

I was honestly focusing on watching Chad's videos doing the associated and taking the Bootcamp practice tests. I just did not make it a priority. Which is something I definitely plan on changing next time around.
Ok, got it. Don't feel alone, I have been contacted by many students this summer who did not complete the work in the Destroyer and they were not happy with their scores. We can change that, but you must do ALL the work in the Destroyers and I feel very confident those scores will go up and you will be able to Destroy the DAT Beast in round 2.

Feel free to message me here or direct email.

Think 30!

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am sorry about your scores, I get what you mean about stress, I get stressed just by taking a mere individual test! I find solving slowly calms me, but of course, that means I'll miss a lot of questions and end up with a horrible score.

Have you taken a full-length test in a stressful environment or a noisy one before taking the real test?
for example: Taking it in Starbucks is quite annoying and noisy plus Starbucks is super cold, so that is a good option. or taking it in your college library the first floor which is usually not that quiet.

Honestly, focus on your gpa now, make it at least reach 3.4 and try again next year.

Meanwhile, if you have money since you have already studied bio and general chemistry and organic chemistry
you can take A GRE subject test to get used to standardized test and the stress associated with it.

There is gre biology and GRE Chemistry.

This will make you get used to the stress, plus GRE scores will always help you in case you wanted to decided to take a phd or in some cases master degrees in chemistry or biology, so they never hurt.

Each gre test by subject costs 150 dollar. GRE Subject Tests Fees (For Test Takers)

A little nugget of advice that a dentist I shadowed gave me always kept me motivated. It was "you pay now or you pay later". Always remember that! Keep grinding hard and you'll get a better score no doubt.

I would definitely retake and change up your approach to preparing for the exam. What kind of content review did you do in addition to practicing with Destroyer and Bootcamp?

22+ with that GPA to feel comfortable. With a 20 you can still get in, it's just more likely with a higher score.
A little nugget of advice that a dentist I shadowed gave me always kept me motivated. It was "you pay now or you pay later". Always remember that! Keep grinding hard and you'll get a better score no doubt.
I like that. I will remember that one. Thanks, I am gonna make it happen! I just need to come up with when I want to take it again . The OMFS I've been shadowing always tells me "Life is what you make it, so make it good." and I find that to be very motivating.

I would definitely retake and change up your approach to preparing for the exam. What kind of content review did you do in addition to practicing with Destroyer and Bootcamp?
I am trying to decide on what I should add or change to my studies to help me improve. I was using cliffs bio and feralis notes along with chads videos and mikes videos on bootcamp.

I am trying to decide on what I should add or change to my studies to help me improve. I was using cliffs bio and feralis notes along with chads videos and mikes videos on bootcamp.

I think those are all solid resources for getting the fundamentals down. Make sure notes you take are thorough and reviewed regularly - but based on what you said in your original post it sounds like the issue may be remaining focused under testing conditions rather than a lack of knowledge.

If i were in your shoes I would retake primarily because your science sections are average or below average. Excellent PAT! If you take your own notes watching Chad's videos, bootcamp organic videos, make notecards with BC organic quizzes, cliffs, and taking practice tests/full length tests, there is no reason you shouldn't improve your scores. Don't be discouraged! You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually retook my DAT today and these were my scores. I know they aren't the best, but I was super excited about my PAT score and just the overall improvement from the first go around. I really appreciate the support and advice that everyone gave!
AA:21
OC:22
GC:20
BIO:20
RC:22
PAT:28

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.