• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Feb 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
tl;dr is is worth it to retake bio?

I have an A, B and C in intro biology (quarter system, 3 classes = 1 yr). However not all programs I am applying to even list intro bio as a pre-req and I want to get an ideally full time PT/Rehab aide job as soon as I graduate this summer so I'm wondering if its worth it. (California, planning to apply to CSUs, UCSF, and SMU)

My GRE is 164V/158Q/5W which I think is pretty good, but unsure how it is weighted overall.

Idk my pre-req GPA as it varies by school but it's between 3.3-3.6 depending. (i see a lot of people here with 3.8-4.0 so I'm nervous ngl)

ETA: my cGPA is 3.399, hoping to get it at least to 3.4 next quarter. Bio is my only pre req grade below a B, I have mostly A- -> A with a few B- -> B+

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
I honestly wouldn't retake it. Your GRE scores are pretty good, so that should compensate for your bio grades. I had a C in chem 1 & 2 B's in physics and still managed to get accepted into 3 schools. Sometimes it's worth to give it a shot without having to retake classes and see what happens. Grades are important, however, I think you can make your application stand out with good letters of recommendation and a great personal statement.

Best of luck!

FutureDPT_MN2015

SPT 2022
2+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Physical Therapy Student
I don’t think that I would retake it at this point, especially if you have performed well in subsequent scores. I was accepted with a pre-req GPA around yours (3.5-3.6ish), my cumulative was 3.2, and my GRE was decent (but not as strong as yours). I had gotten a D in anatomy (retook and got a B), but obviously the mark was still on there. I would personally apply and if you aren’t accepted and it seems like this is the reason why, then maybe? But experience and a good GRE should hopefully outweigh the one C that you got in an intro course.

Good luck!!

About the Ads
Feb 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
I honestly wouldn't retake it. Your GRE scores are pretty good, so that should compensate for your bio grades. I had a C in chem 1 & 2 B's in physics and still managed to get accepted into 3 schools. Sometimes it's worth to give it a shot without having to retake classes and see what happens. Grades are important, however, I think you can make your application stand out with good letters of recommendation and a great personal statement.

Best of luck!
Thanks! Im hoping my personal statement is good as I've always been prerty decent at writing.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
I don’t think that I would retake it at this point, especially if you have performed well in subsequent scores. I was accepted with a pre-req GPA around yours (3.5-3.6ish), my cumulative was 3.2, and my GRE was decent (but not as strong as yours). I had gotten a D in anatomy (retook and got a B), but obviously the mark was still on there. I would personally apply and if you aren’t accepted and it seems like this is the reason why, then maybe? But experience and a good GRE should hopefully outweigh the one C that you got in an intro class.
Thanks! That's reassuring to hear.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.