Should I retake Calculus II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uwrf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking General Chemistry II, Cell and Molecular Biology, and Calculus II. The first two classes are going well. In Calculus II, however, I have not received anything higher than a flat C on all of my exams (quizzes being from 75%-100%). We just recently had our last exam (I do not know my score yet, but I imagine something, yet again, in the C range). I would probably need to ace the final to bring it up to a B, and, using common sense, that probably will not happen.

The first question that has likely popped up in your minds when you read the title of the thread is "Why on earth are you taking Calculus II?" My answer is that it is a part of the option I chose for my Chemistry degree.

My question is that if I end up with a C, will it be wise to retake it? I did get a solid A in Calculus I. Would that offset the C in the eyes of pharmacy school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Just an additional point of interest:
Calculus I is a prerequisite for most of the schools I hope to apply to (Calculus II being for one or two others). Does this mean that Calculus I will matter more than II?

I got a C in Calc II and would not have retaken it if someone paid me lol. A C won't kill you as long as everything else is good. If it's not then consider retaking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently taking General Chemistry II, Cell and Molecular Biology, and Calculus II. The first two classes are going well. In Calculus II, however, I have not received anything higher than a flat C on all of my exams (quizzes being from 75%-100%). We just recently had our last exam (I do not know my score yet, but I imagine something, yet again, in the C range). I would probably need to ace the final to bring it up to a B, and, using common sense, that probably will not happen.

The first question that has likely popped up in your minds when you read the title of the thread is "Why on earth are you taking Calculus II?" My answer is that it is a part of the option I chose for my Chemistry degree.

My question is that if I end up with a C, will it be wise to retake it? I did get a solid A in Calculus I. Would that offset the C in the eyes of pharmacy school admissions?

If you are taking Calc for your Chem degree, then I highly recommend self studying Calc 1, 2, and 3. The chemistry courses that follow organic are heavily dependent on math. I've heard that organic is the easiest of the schools of chemistry; PChem and IChem are MUCH tougher and strong calc skills along with some experience in differential eq is a MUST.

How about in the sight of pharmacy school admissions? An A in calc I versus a C in calc II. Would that be "soft?"

No, do not retake.

I wouldn't retake the class, they would expect you to do well taking it again so it doesn't help. Just do very well on the PCAT and explain to admissions why the grades were low.

Another thing to consider - Calc II is not a pre-req for about 90% of the pharmacy schools out there. I might be wrong on that..... But, only one out of about every 10 schools that I have examined have Calc II as a requirement.

All other schools only go to statistics, Calc I, or survey of calc.

I would not retake it.

Calc II was hard as f***!!! No relevance to anything in pharmacy school either, I wouldn't retake. I got a C and I did try in the class. It was harder than Calc III.

My advice, take as little calc as possible. Any one class is not that big of a deal in the grand scope of things. Although, im still bitter about my grade in Calc 1. My exam grades were B+,B-, and B which accounted for 95% of my grade and I did above average on every quiz, hw, and team hw which is only 5% of grade but somehow I got a
B- in the class. No use asking my teacher about it because she can't communicate in english.
Then in Calc 2 (supposed to be one of the hardest classes at my uni), I got a B+, B-, and a B- on the final exam...did less than half the homework, skipped class a lot and missed many quizzes. What do I get? A B+
The worst thing about it was that I tested out of calc 1 with a 5 on the AP exam but decided to take it because I thought it would be easy.

What about taking Cal III? Is it required with your major to take higher math course than Cal II? Cal III is the variable and 3D stuffs right?

I personally like Cal III better than Cal II.... I took Cal I got a B, took Cal II got a C, then I took Cal III finally got an A. Most pharmacy school only require Cal I anyway, my major required Cal I and II but since I did poorly in Cal II I decide to take Cal III and get a better grade, not sure if this will help my application at all but hopefully it will.

Okay, so to finish off the thread. The semester turned out to be a 3.29 because of the C. What I'm hoping, though, aside from the lower gpa because of the C, is that the good grades in the other two classes are going to soften the fall.

Gen Chem II: A-
Cell and Molec Bio: A
Calculus II: C

Another thing to consider - Calc II is not a pre-req for about 90% of the pharmacy schools out there. I might be wrong on that..... But, only one out of about every 10 schools that I have examined have Calc II as a requirement.

All other schools only go to statistics, Calc I, or survey of calc.

I would not retake it.
That's what I know to be true as well. I received an a A in Calc I, so I'm hoping that will make things more bearable in the end.