Should I Retake Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LV1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with a bs in biology. I would like to apply to D.O. schools. I had a 3.47 cumulative GPA and a 3.14 science GPA. I also had a semester of research and about 200 hours of hospital volunteering. Should I raise my science GPA before applying? I have three C+'s on my transcript. If I retake these three classes, I could raise it to a 3.4.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake a class if you are able. but you need to make sure if you do that you get an A. They will be able to see if you retook a course and they will want to see improvement. I was asked at every interview I went to about retaking O-Chem II. I went from a C to an A and they really seemed to like that

Reactions: 1 user
I would retake a class if you are able. but you need to make sure if you do that you get an A. They will be able to see if you retook a course and they will want to see improvement. I was asked at every interview I went to about retaking O-Chem II. I went from a C to an A and they really seemed to like that

The three classes are ochem 2 (no lab), biochem 2 (no lab), and physics 2 with lab. I can retake them in the spring. Do you think it would be feasible to do all three or should I just pick two to make sure I get A's? They would be the only classes I'm taking since my degree is already done.

The three classes are ochem 2 (no lab), biochem 2 (no lab), and physics 2 with lab. I can retake them in the spring. Do you think it would be feasible to do all three or should I just pick two to make sure I get A's? They would be the only classes I'm taking since my degree is already done.

Yeah, I am in the same boat essentially except my classes which are under a B are Gen Chem 1, Stats, Orgo 2, and Genetics. I also graduated last year from University.

sGPA is very important! If all it takes is 3 classes to bring your sGPA to a 3.4 then do it. You will have great success applying to DO schools, with regards to II's, if you apply with 3.47/3.4/505+ MCAT. Plus those retakes will bring your cGPA to 3.5+.

I think it's worth it.

sGPA is very important! If all it takes is 3 classes to bring your sGPA to a 3.4 then do it. You will have great success applying to DO schools, with regards to II's, if you apply with 3.47/3.4/505+ MCAT. Plus those retakes will bring your cGPA to 3.5+.

I think it's worth it.

If I retake all three and get A's, I'll have a 3.6 cumulative GPA and a 3.38 science. If I retake ochem and physics and get A's, I'll have a 3.56 cumulative and a 3.30 science. I'm going to retake at least those two.

I believe you should be fine with retaking just 2 classes. Take the classes you are comfortable with taking and make a good effort to get A's. Your cgpa will be around the avg and your sgpa is fairly close to the avg as well so you should get some love from some schools.

I believe you should be fine with retaking just 2 classes. Take the classes you are comfortable with taking and make a good effort to get A's. Your cgpa will be around the avg and your sgpa is fairly close to the avg as well so you should get some love from some schools.

Because I already have a degree, will these classes be factored into my undergraduate gpa or will they be a separate gpa? Also, my advisor wants me to retake the three classes and take five other classes over the fall and spring semesters. Is this really necessary?

Last edited:
I think you should just retake two classes. Your cgpa would be a 3.56 and sgpa would be a 3.30 right? Those are good enough numbers for DO schools (not so good for MD). Unless you want to gain acceptances to more established/older DO schools then you should retake all three classes and a couple more upper division. But I think you will be competitive enough with the numbers I mentioned earlier along with a decent MCAT score of 502+.

I think you should just retake two classes. Your cgpa would be a 3.56 and sgpa would be a 3.30 right? Those are good enough numbers for DO schools (not so good for MD). Unless you want to gain acceptances to more established/older DO schools then you should retake all three classes and a couple more upper division. But I think you will be competitive enough with the numbers I mentioned earlier along with a decent MCAT score of 502+.

Yes, 3.56cgpa and 3.30sgpa. He said that schools like to see students do well in retakes as well as new upper division classes and that only taking two classes in the semester wouldn't look good.

It is definitely feasible to do all 3, but you have to take into account other activities like if you are working or volunteering. Are you saying you never took the labs with those classes? because you will also have to take the labs as I believe labs are included with the prereqs.