Should I retake DAT now, or wait for next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franz.Rh112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT in July, with a TS 18/ AA 17/ PA 19/ BIO 18/ GC 16/ OC 17/ QR 16/ RC 20. I'm scheduled to retake on October 16 but my question is regarding whether or not it's worth it to retake this fall, or if I should wait & reapply next spring.

I've been following the DAT bootcamp & DAT destroyer schedule, with 20PAT/22Bio/20GC/21OC/19QR/22RC on my recent practice exam. My undergraduate overall GPA was 3.24, science GPA 3.27. My AADSAS application has been submitted, with transcripts and LOR's received, and should hopefully be verified & mailed out in the next 2 weeks.

With my current scores and GPA, do I have a decent chance at an interview in the cycle this year, particularly at either Louisville or UK (in-state)? So far I've designated LECOM/Nova/Temple/Tufts/VCU/Case/New England/Midwestern-Il/Pittsburgh/Pacific, along with the two in-state schools.

Members don't see this ad.

pgex2t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You've already paid for your apps, so you might as well retake it? I mean, if you don't end up getting in this cycle, you'd retake it again anyways for next cycle no? Unless you feel you can do substantially better later on (because of more studying time) there's no reason not to take it in Oct. I think anything lower than a 17 is considered a failing score (for that section) for several of the schools you've designated

hoppingpre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your GPA and DAT are both below average. If I were you, I'd retake the DAT (try for 20+ across the board), and reapply next cycle.

But if you already paid for everything, I don't see why you can't try this cycle as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

embrojam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd wait and retake, unless you have the money to blow on a slim chance

F

Frank22

If you studied well and over a sufficient interval of time and produced those quality of scores then it may indicate that you need to improve your foundation of knowledge in the biological sciences and chemistries; therefore, I would suggest that you not so much study but retake courses or read textbooks covering first year biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry.

However, if your scores were the result of poor studying, I would suggest the conventional DAT Destroyer, Chad's Videos, and DAT Bootcamp to score 20 or higher on each section.

Last edited:

Halfdolphy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take it now! Seirously!! Seems like you're already doing well on your practice It is super hard to motivate yourself after a year and study one more time (trust me, you will only procrastinate if you think you have one more year). Plus, you already applied so don't wait this cycle. I waited to take the DAT and Im now miserable in my gap year being an underpaid slave. So jealous of people who already started d-school =[