should i retake dat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsun

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sure you guys get asked this question alot but I wanted to post to just make sure.
Im a 5th year Biomedical engineering major at a UC university.
I will be applying to dental school June 2010.
My overall GPA is 3.57, sciGPA is 3.55.
I just took the DAT today
I didn't really study for it, studied on and off for about 2 weeks because I had lots of school work to deal with.
This is what I got:
PAT 20
QR 19
RC 21
BIo 17
GChem 19
Ochem 20
TS 19
AA 19

I know Bio is pretty low.
What are my chances of getting into any California schools (Western, Loma Linda, USC) with those stats? Should I retake the DAT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You look like a strong applicant your GPA is solid and your DAT is pretty decent.
If you had the time I would retake the DAT because you know you could ramp up those scores pretty significantly if you gave yourself some more time to prepare.
Right now I think whether or not you got into a school would be a toss up but if you retook the DAT and got 21+AA I think you would be a lot more at ease during the while waiting for decisions

You look like a strong applicant your GPA is solid and your DAT is pretty decent.
If you had the time I would retake the DAT because you know you could ramp up those scores pretty significantly if you gave yourself some more time to prepare.
Right now I think whether or not you got into a school would be a toss up but if you retook the DAT and got 21+AA I think you would be a lot more at ease during the while waiting for decisions

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention
today when I took the test, I was surprised, THERE WAS A CALCULATOR FOR QR!!!
Its a button u push and the windows calculator comes up. It is the simple view, not the advanced view with the cos and sin. Perhaps you could get the advanced view but I didn't want to risk being kicked out for messing around with the software.
The buttons sometime took a while to respond, like if u click the numbers too fast it doesn't type it in.
But it helped me alot since before I'd always practice without a calc and have to round everything and always spend longer than 1 minute on each problem (too long). Now I can just set up the equation and punch in the numbers.
Makes my life ALOT easier.

hope you are not misleading yourself by focusing only DAT and GPA as the only two criteria for DS admission

No I am also concerned about my LORs and ECs
To be honest I dont have much EC. I have done research for 2 years and will have volunteered/shadowed for 100 hrs by June. But other than that I haven't done much.
I plan to get a job as a dental assistant part time from when I graduate (June 2010) until I hear from schools.
The LORs really scare me as I dont really know many science professors. I plan to get LORs from my research prof, a dentist, an engineering professor, and a physio professor. I know schools require LORs from 2 sci prof. Does engineering count as science?
As for personal statement, I know I dont have much life experiences being only 22, but would it be ignorant to include "being your own boss" and "job security" for reasons why I choose dentistry?
I feel those issues (high salary and job security) are like the elephants in the room. People are aware of them and for some people they are major factors in deciding to do dentistry, yet is it ok to talk about them? Or do you have to focus more on the helping people aspect?

I'd avoid the salary part in the PS. As for the DAT, you may be OK. Of course if you only plan on applying to those 3 schools then your chances are lower than if you applied to, say, 10.

You have 3.5 Science and overall GPA
19AA with 20PA along with 19 TS.

You are a good applicant, however, I think calif schools are a little DAT anal. Call up those schools your interested in right now and see what vibe they give you.

If i was you, I would not retake the DAT. You got good overall numbers, sure a 21+ would look better, but we are not into looks.

hope you are not misleading yourself by focusing only DAT and GPA as the only two criteria for DS admission

well, they are the 2 most important criteria, so, he SHOULD focus 80% of his energy into them

I forgot to mention
today when I took the test, I was surprised, THERE WAS A CALCULATOR FOR QR!!!

Hey I remember some SDNers had been discussing if with the addition of the calculator they would make the QR a little more difficult. Did you find that to be the case?

Hey I remember some SDNers had been discussing if with the addition of the calculator they would make the QR a little more difficult. Did you find that to be the case?

I never took the DAT before so I have nothing to compare the QR too. I have always found the QR to be easy in my study materials. Its just that you dont get enough time to do them so you have to work fast. My strategy is if I can't figure out how to do/setup the problem within 20 seconds, I mark the problem and go on. But now with a calculator, those complicated problems that you set up, you just have to plug and chug in a calculator to solve it. Whereas before you'd have to plug and chug by hand.

Its funny because there are still questions that have you estimate the answer, when obviously you can just get the exact answer using the calculator. So I dont think they've updated their questions for the calculator.

I don't know how they could make those questions harder on QR. Haha, I know some people are awesome in math, but most of us are kind of slow workers. I got a 19 in QR w/o a calculator, I don't think my score would have been much better with one. It was just hard!

Nice DAT scores!
I got similar ones (with a 17 BIO), and was told by admissions that my DAT scores are competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
had the same exact numbers but a 3.46 sci gpa and a 20 on ts...got 4 interviews and waitlisted at them. I am taking it again. lol

Don't retake. This is competitive. Just make sure you have good community service hours and are involved on your campus with clubs.
I am from Cali and will be attending Loma Linda next year.. c/o 2014
Feel free to ask me any questions you might have

Your scores are decent but you might want to consider retaking the DAT--just hear me out. You said that you only studied for 2 weeks off and on meaning you definitely have the potential to earn a much higher score. After you graduate, maybe take the DAT late June/early July after studying hard core for ~2 months. It sounds like you have a lot of potential. The scores you have now are okay...but if you got 22+ on every section that will open up the doors to acceptance into more "prestigious" schools or even scholarship offers from some schools (the scholarships that they consider all applicants for, you don't apply separately). Either option (keeping these scores or retaking) will be alright in the long run, I just wanted to show you a few benefits of a possible retake. Good luck!

Your scores are decent but you might want to consider retaking the DAT--just hear me out. You said that you only studied for 2 weeks off and on meaning you definitely have the potential to earn a much higher score. After you graduate, maybe take the DAT late June/early July after studying hard core for ~2 months. It sounds like you have a lot of potential. The scores you have now are okay...but if you got 22+ on every section that will open up the doors to acceptance into more "prestigious" schools or even scholarship offers from some schools (the scholarships that they consider all applicants for, you don't apply separately). Either option (keeping these scores or retaking) will be alright in the long run, I just wanted to show you a few benefits of a possible retake. Good luck!

+1

i also studied about 2 weeks, 20TS 19AA...luckily got 1 acceptance. i would retake.

Alright you guys have convinced me to retake so I can take some of the stress out of the interview part. I expect the score can only go up with more studying.
I really really want to goto Western and Loma Linda is my second choice. My girlfriend is currently a PhD student in Psychology at LLU so I'd want to goto a school that is close to her, so we can live together.
As for scholarships I plan to try to get a military scholarship. My Dad worked for the military and growing up I moved around alot and lived on military bases. I like the benefits the military offers and am somewhat curious of the experience of being in the military. So the money (private vs public school) aspect I dont really mind.
But I talked to my friend who is at Western dental right now. He says I should definitely retake because his scores were higher than mine and he was waitlisted but eventually got in. This was last year, and every year it gets more competitive.

Alright you guys have convinced me to retake so I can take some of the stress out of the interview part. I expect the score can only go up with more studying.
I really really want to goto Western and Loma Linda is my second choice. My girlfriend is currently a PhD student in Psychology at LLU so I'd want to goto a school that is close to her, so we can live together.
As for scholarships I plan to try to get a military scholarship. My Dad worked for the military and growing up I moved around alot and lived on military bases. I like the benefits the military offers and am somewhat curious of the experience of being in the military. So the money (private vs public school) aspect I dont really mind.
But I talked to my friend who is at Western dental right now. He says I should definitely retake because his scores were higher than mine and he was waitlisted but eventually got in. This was last year, and every year it gets more competitive.

a quick 2 cent, UCSF admission officer told me that, unless you increase your scores 3 points of more on about every sections, they dont want to see a slight improve. He said that, 1-2 points doesnt mean you know more, it means that you got used to the test and questions.
So, if you are taking it, get 22's

good luck:luck:

No I am also concerned about my LORs and ECs
To be honest I dont have much EC. I have done research for 2 years and will have volunteered/shadowed for 100 hrs by June. But other than that I haven't done much.
I plan to get a job as a dental assistant part time from when I graduate (June 2010) until I hear from schools.
The LORs really scare me as I dont really know many science professors. I plan to get LORs from my research prof, a dentist, an engineering professor, and a physio professor. I know schools require LORs from 2 sci prof. Does engineering count as science?
As for personal statement, I know I dont have much life experiences being only 22, but would it be ignorant to include "being your own boss" and "job security" for reasons why I choose dentistry?
I feel those issues (high salary and job security) are like the elephants in the room. People are aware of them and for some people they are major factors in deciding to do dentistry, yet is it ok to talk about them? Or do you have to focus more on the helping people aspect?

your DAT scores look good but bio is a little low. Are you a cali resident? That would make a HUGE difference. If you could a get a letter of recommendation from a BIO professor or even CHEM I think that will help a LOT! I would definitely get a letter from a prof with whom you had the most interaction with so that will help them in writing a STRONG letter for you.

Can anyone else attest to the calculator on QR... I dont remember seeing one myself and wow I guess I should have looked better huh

I think your scores are fine, but retaking is not a bad idea either. You mentioned pursuing the military scholarship. With a 19 you will have to take part in a screening interview. Even though your GPA is fine, you have to have a 20 and 3.3 to bypass the interview. So if you retake and get a 20+ you can skip the interview process. So there is another bonus to retaking. The interview isn't bad though.

your DAT scores look good but bio is a little low. Are you a cali resident? That would make a HUGE difference. If you could a get a letter of recommendation from a BIO professor or even CHEM I think that will help a LOT! I would definitely get a letter from a prof with whom you had the most interaction with so that will help them in writing a STRONG letter for you.

Yes I am a Cali resident
This quarter I got a job tutoring for a molecular bio class. So perhaps I can get a LOR from that professor. Not sure tho.

a quick 2 cent, UCSF admission officer told me that, unless you increase your scores 3 points of more on about every sections, they dont want to see a slight improve. He said that, 1-2 points doesnt mean you know more, it means that you got used to the test and questions.
So, if you are taking it, get 22's good luck

WOW I didn't know about that. I thought they didn't consider the previous scores. Anyways I am planning to just send in the scores I have with my application on June 1. Then in July I will retake and send those scores in. Do you guys think that will give me a boost or should I retake before I submit the application?

I have alot on my plate next quarter (research, job, volunteering, and school) so Im not sure if I have enough time to study for a retake. How do they consider the DAT scores, is there just a computer screening the scores with applications and discarding certain ones? Or do they review everything like around November. So I'm asking if I retake after I have submitted, would the new score even be taken into consideration or would my application already have been looked over with the old score.

Thanks

So, if you are taking it, get 22's

good luck:luck:

I'd guess that those views are exclusive to UCSF, as far as admissions officers go...

An 18 to a 19 is a huge jump. As is 19 to 20, and 20 to 21. One point increase is AA/TS is HUGE. 1 point can determine acceptance or rejection.

PAT 20
QR 19
RC 21
BIo 17
GChem 19
Ochem 20
TS 19
AA 19

I know Bio is pretty low.
What are my chances of getting into any California schools (Western, Loma Linda, USC) with those stats? Should I retake the DAT?

You're very realistic about what Cali schools you think you can get in, I think you have a good chance at all three of those schools (Loma Linda if you are SDA). You probably don't need to retake the DAT in my opinion, though you could do so for some security (USC average is 20 AA). Good luck!

My overall GPA is 3.57, sciGPA is 3.55.
I just took the DAT today
I didn't really study for it, studied on and off for about 2 weeks because I had lots of school work to deal with.

You must have been thinking: oh, what the heck it is only a test.