Should I retake for a C in o chem 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I retake o chem 2?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

mandym00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished an accelerated 5 week summer semester of Organic Chemistry 2. I was continuing to research and work a part-time job while taking the class, even though the professor told us that having any job during the semester was highly not recommended. Of course I didn't listen. I couldn't quit my job at the time and did find the course very challenging for the short semester. Simply because I couldn't master synthesis and mechanisms in such a sort span. We had a test every week. Long story short I ended up with a C in the class. I'm wondering if it's worth it to take it again? Of course it "killed" my sGPA, going down by 0.12. I feel confident that if I take the course again, in the regular semester, I would be able to earn an A, or definitely at least a B. I would have to take the class in the Spring semester of 2016 as my schedule is already full for this fall semester. The two available sections conflict with my other classes. But I'm not sure it would be a good idea to retake O Chem 2 when I'm supposed to be studying for the MCAT. Let me know what you think and/or would do in a situation like this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get an A, then yes. DO schools will replace the C with the A, and MD schools will average the two grades. You also need a firm grasp of orgo for the MCAT, and the extra practice will be beneficial. x

If you're for sure trying to go DO then it might not be a bad option. However I believe your time would be better spent taking more advanced classes (or easier ones) and getting A's in those. I know kids who have gotten C's in some prereqs like orgo or physics but they bounced back, did well on the mcat, and got in MD schools. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. After looking around on the forum others have also advised that it's probably not worth it. I'll just make sure to get As in the rest of my sciences.

The answer depends on your current and potential sGPA, IMHO.

Take biochemistry and do well in it. I got "C's" in both my Orgo classes, did well in subsequent biochemistry and on the MCAT, leading me to believe my school's orgo classes are just really difficult.

The answer depends on your current and potential sGPA, IMHO.
Before the C in the class my sGPA was a 3.58, but now its a 3.46. Calculating my C into my sGPA and expecting to make As for the rest of my science courses I'll only have a 3.672 by the time I apply. If I retake o chem 2 and get an A my sGPA will be 3. 687. Taking this summer class really screwed me over, but I needed to take it in order to be able to apply Spring 2016. Another option is to take additional science classes to try and boost it. What do you think?

Take biochemistry and do well in it. I got "C's" in both my Orgo classes, did well in subsequent biochemistry and on the MCAT, leading me to believe my school's orgo classes are just really difficult.
Well this gives me hope. It's the only C I've gotten in a science course. My other C was in my least favorite subject, English. I truly believe the only reason I got a C was because of the condensed semester while working at the same time. I know if I take it again I will get an A. Got a B (almost an A, my school doesnt do +/-) in Ochem 1.

Before the C in the class my sGPA was a 3.58, but now its a 3.46. Calculating my C into my sGPA and expecting to make As for the rest of my science courses I'll only have a 3.672 by the time I apply. If I retake o chem 2 and get an A my sGPA will be 3. 687. Taking this summer class really screwed me over, but I needed to take it in order to be able to apply Spring 2016. Another option is to take additional science classes to try and boost it. What do you think?
In this case I would say forget it, your sGPA will be fine.

No I would not re-take. I know gonnif has commented in the past how some ADCOMs raise questions about an applicant even when they retake C grades.

Your GPA is more than fine for DO's and doesn't need any boost.

Actually if your thinking on retaking O-Chem just for MCAT preps sake there are ways of studying organic for the MCAT that are much higher yield than the classroom. Organic on the new MCAT is more rooted in laboratory techniques and the biochemical aspects as opposed to the old MCAT

I wouldn't do it. Break up with orgo, eat your heart out and move on. Re-taking orgo sounds like the biggest pain in the ass.

I wouldn't do it. Break up with orgo, eat your heart out and move on. Re-taking orgo sounds like the biggest pain in the ass.
That's what I was thinking, what a horrendous class to have to retake haha. On to biochem this semester!

Reactions: 1 user