Should I retake my MCAT?? URM with 34Q and 3.4cgpa, looking at top schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonguetalker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gahh so Im kinda really upset with myself because this semester was a disaster. Im taking 18 hours and Im getting mostly B's in everything with maybe one or two A's. Im nervous because Im looking into med schools and my list is pretty top school heavy. Since my gpa is on the lower side, I am wondering if it would be to my benefit to retake my mcat, maybe in July or August and send it as an update to the schools Im applying to.

Currently, Im a black male junior at a top 20 university
cgpa is 3.4 and sgpa is 3.5.
First time mcat was 34Q: 12/12/10Q (I really think I can get BS up, was scoring 12s,13s on practice)

I have an incredible life story about growing up in the projects and being in cps as a child and throughout college I have had two highly traumatic situations occur that I have gotten through fairly well.
Some of my ECs include:
Two years and a summer of research (no papers though)
Two years as president of MAPS
Blood Drive Coordinator for the entire university for two years (a lot of work!)
I have always needed to work so Ive been a tutor for the past two years
Big Brother in BBBS
Going to Honduras this winter break on a service trip
Going to be an ASB site leader this spring
Volunteering at an AIDs Hospice and a Soup Kitchen for nearly a year now
SMDEP
I have also been a TA for my bio class and I have been involved with mentoring a group of low income high school students for two years as well
One interesting fact is that I am a pentecostal minister.

Some schools that Im looking at are: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Penn etc

I know that my gpa is low for these schools, even being an URM so Im wondering if I should try to retake my mcat to get over a 36+ or should I work on other parts of my application. I dont know what else to do!

Members don't see this ad.

You'd be insane to retake.

You have a 90% chance as is to get into medical school. Why do you want to go to harvard, yale, stanford, penn, etc? Doctor is a doctor and you can already get into a majority of programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the reason is because I really like each of the individual schools and I know that research is something that I would like to do in medical school. I feel like these schools will offer me opportunities that will not be present elsewhere. While I will nevertheless be happy with an MD, I dont think it hurts to aim for more

Well the reason is because I really like each of the individual schools and I know that research is something that I would like to do in medical school. I feel like these schools will offer me opportunities that will not be present elsewhere. While I will nevertheless be happy with an MD, I dont think it hurts to aim for more

Speaking of more, you should look into morehouse

Speaking of more, you should look into morehouse

OP is focused towards research. I thought Morehouse was more focused towards primary care and social mission compared to research.

If research is your goal, go for an MD/Ph.D. If medical school is your goal, you won't be losing out on opportunities by going to a non-top 20. Almost every US-MD school has strong NIH funding.

I like research but I dont think I want to commit to MD/Ph.D

If I shouldnt retake should I not apply to so many of these schools?

With your excellent ECs and strong MCAT score, I think you should still apply to those schools. It would help a lot if you can re-establish an upward grade trend before you apply. Don't overload yourself again next semester, as better grades will be important to your aspirations.

I will really try hard to, I know that I could have done better this semester as well :(
I was just thinking raising the mcat because I feel like it would be another way to get better and if I didnt, I wouldnt have to send my scores since I would already have applied by then.

Definitely apply with your stats now. Retaking an MCAT with your score is very risky. If you get a lower score that could hurt your chances at even mid-ranked schools. Like the other guy said, most MD schools have significant NIH funding and offer a ton of research possibilities. I suggest NYU considering its a great school, great research, great name, and huge hospital system to work in.

I will really try hard to, I know that I could have done better this semester as well :(
I was just thinking raising the mcat because I feel like it would be another way to get better and if I didnt, I wouldnt have to send my scores since I would already have applied by then.
That's incorrect; all of the schools you applied to will automatically get any new scores

all of the schools you applied to will automatically get any new scores
Sector9 is correct. If you got a lower MCAT score on retaking, you could not conceal the new score from schools. Only by voiding the test before leaving the testing room and never having it scored could you keep the second result from being known.

Sector9 is correct. If you got a lower MCAT score on retaking, you could not conceal the new score from schools. Only by voiding the test before leaving the testing room and never having it scored could you keep the second result from being known.

OHH thanks so much for the information! I had no idea!! I guess my only hope is getting all A's next semester and prayer...

So is there anything else that I should do to increase my chances besides the mcat and gpa?
The only other thing that I have going for me is that Im very close with our premed advisor and she has told me that Im one of the best student's that she's seen in years so I know the lor will be phenomenal.

I also plan to do summer research while applying and I may try to squeeze in another service project before June.

So is there anything else that I should do to increase my chances besides the mcat and gpa?
The only other thing that I have going for me is that Im very close with our premed advisor and she has told me that Im one of the best student's that she's seen in years so I know the lor will be phenomenal.

I also plan to do summer research while applying and I may try to squeeze in another service project before June.

Seems like a good plan.

DO NOT retake. 34Q is a great score. I think your ECs and essays will make the difference.