Should I retake my prerequisite classes over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemo12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my fall semester abroad in Australia, where I took biology 1 and chemistry 1. My college told me that it wouldn't matter that I had done those courses abroad, and I didn't think anything of it at the time. However, I've read from several sources that medical schools dislike it when students have taken their prerequisite classes while abroad, some of which don't even accept them as prerequisites, as I don't have a transferrable letter grade.

My college offers biology 1 and chemistry 1 during the summer. I was wondering if I should retake them, in order to have prerequisites which have letter grades, as well as probably a stronger education in them since they were extremely easy when I took them abroad.

Members don't see this ad.

I did my fall semester abroad in Australia, where I took biology 1 and chemistry 1. My college told me that it wouldn't matter that I had done those courses abroad, and I didn't think anything of it at the time. However, I've read from several sources that medical schools dislike it when students have taken their prerequisite classes while abroad, some of which don't even accept them as prerequisites, as I don't have a transferrable letter grade.

My college offers biology 1 and chemistry 1 during the summer. I was wondering if I should retake them, in order to have prerequisites which have letter grades, as well as probably a stronger education in them since they were extremely easy when I took them abroad.

Yes. Retake them in the US.

Will medical schools think its weird that I'm taking biology 1 and chemistry 1 again over the summer even though I'm in bio 2 and chem 2 this semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will medical schools think its weird that I'm taking biology 1 and chemistry 1 again over the summer even though I'm in bio 2 and chem 2 this semester?

Nobody will care.