Should I retake Physics??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beagle

Meet BEAGLE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recieved a C- in my second semester of Physics.
I am wondering if I sholud retake the second semester or not?

Members don't see this ad.

No!

That would definitely be a waste of your valuable time for two reasons:

1) Physics isn't really required for studying the DAT and it doesn't really play a big role in dentistry, compared to bio or orgo.

2) Unless you can guarantee (spelling?) yourself a grade of B or better (in retaking it,) it will be very, very stressful for you. You're going to have to work your butt off. In the eyes of the Adcom, they will expect to see VAST improvement because you already know the course material and are retaking the course. If you really want to enhance your chances of getting in, try taking higher level science courses like biochem, physical chemistry, or whatever "high level" science courses your university offers.

Take it from me. I was in the same predicament. I retook physics, but just because I already knew the material, I didn't get a better grade.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Windy City..
Just wondering why you retook physics?
And are you in dental school now? Did it affect your admission if you were accepted to schools?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Beagle,

I retook it because I thought I already knew the material. Big mistake!! To make matters more complicated, my pre-professional advisor strongly warned me not to retake physics, but I chose to (because I'm an egomaniac), and suffered the consequences of getting the same grade in the same course in back-to-back semesters.

Luckily, I was able to compensate that with good grades in upper-level bio and chem courses. I think the Adcoms were more impressed with those grades than the poor grade I got in physics. Also, I explained to the Adcoms, both in my ADCAS essay and in my personal interviews, my grade in physics and they were very understanding. They know that students are not always perfect and screw-ups do occur, but make sure to reasonably explain the bad grade (i.e. family death, parents divorce, etc.)to the Adcoms.

In answer to you last question, I'll be a DS-1 this upcoming August at Buffalo.

Good luck in your studies.

Hello Windy City
Just wondering---are you going to Dent school straight out of undergrad?
I just graduated and am going to Grad school for two years. I am worried that I will not make it into dental school. Do you think that going to grad school will help my chances (assuming I do well there)
thanks!!
Beagle

Hi Beagle,

Actually, I decided to take a year off after graduating. I got a job working with special needs (i.e. mentally and/ or handicapped) children and wrote alot about my experiences with these kids in my AADSAS essay. I also made sure to emphasize my interest in becoming a pediatric dentist (of which there is currently a great demand across the country.)

I really think that going to grad school will help you out alot. Dental schools are always interested in applicants who further their studies after graduating(I'm assuming you're getting a masters). It shows that you have the drive to increase your level of knowledge and you have a great thirst for learning. In other words, Adcoms love to see that determination even if there is a risk of failure.

On a side-note, there's this friend of mine who has an RDH and an MPH. Even with her poor DATs and average undergrad GPA from the local university(she had something like 15 acad/18 PAT and an undergrad GPA of approx. 2.8) she was able to get into Boston University last year because of her experiences and the obvious proof in continuing her education.

I hope this helps.

See ya!

Hello Windy City!
Thanks for replying so quickly!!
I was thinking of this--if I dont get in the first time, what if I became a dental hygentist? Do you think it is worth the effort? I know your friend had her RDH but do you think it is worth the extra year of school? Do you think it'd be more worth my time to just work in a dental office answering phones and doing other tasks, or to go the extra mile and actually get my RDH?
I'm very scared because my GPA is barely a 3.0 !!! I have not taken the DATS yet, but plan on studying hard. Then again, I do horrible on those standardized tests...my GRE scores were TERRIBLE but I still got into a very good college for Grad school.
Anyway, let me know what you think--should I get the RDH after my masters (assuming I dont get into dent school the first time) or would it be better to just work in a dental office? Does it really matter so long as you worked in an office and had some experience??? I did an internship one semester with a dentist and have shadowed two other dentists...Should I do more office work?
Thanks for your time!
Beagle
By the way--what do you know of Boston University? You mentioned how your friend got entry even with a 2.8 and low DAT scores---I have heard the same thing of quite a few of their students? Makes ya wonder....

Hi Beagle,

The Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU) is considered one of the top-tier dental schools in the country. From what I know, its pretty competetive to get in and very expensive (since its a private school). Other than that, I don't have much info since I didn't apply to the school.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "working" in a dental office. If you do work in a dental office, it would be better if you got an RDH. Simply "working" in a dental office does not really give you the necessary experience that would impress the Adcom. "Working" can mean answering the phones, doing clerical work, cleaning-up the clinic, etc. It would be better if you got hands-on experience and actually worked on the patients. Also, having an RDH tells the dental Adcom that you not only have the experience to work in a dental office, but also the know-how and a realistic understanding(rather than an nieve idealistic fantasy) of what practicing dentistry is like.

I'm sure that you'll eventually get into a dental school. Having a bachelors, a masters, and an RDH will really amaze the Adcoms. It means that you don't mind going the extra mile to achieve your dreams.

when dental schools ask for your GPA do they mean your overall GPA including your undergrad and grad work combined? Or will you give them two different GPAs?

thanks!

Windy City
One more question--Did your friend who got into Boston U do her MPH at Boston U?
Just wondering
THanks!