Should i retake? please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i took the DAT in june, got an 18AA/TS and I know thats not ideal with my 3.3 GPA. My extracurriculars are by far my best attribute though. Is retaking the DAT in august too late? ill have my application done in june if not.. Im also applying to 15-20 schools broadly, and realistically with no big reaches..

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa is low and your DAT is below average at most dental schools. A retake is needed

Last edited:
Your gpa is low and your DAT is way below average at most dental schools. A retake is needed
Like i said I’m applying realistically to schools with an average of roughly 19.. so it’s not “way below” average.. but okay, thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year was the first year that the average DAT score of students accepted to dental school was a 20, so as you already know, a 18 is not ideal. When it comes to timing, if you end up taking the DAT in August, plus the 3-4 weeks for your DAT score to be processed, this will put you close to September which is quite late. I would recommend meeting with a pre-dental adviser if you can, and possibly consider applying next cycle. Because the only way you'll be accepted that late is if you get an insane DAT score, which is not realistic to bank on, and even then the chances are low. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year was the first year that the average DAT score of students accepted to dental was a 20, so as you already know, a 18 is not ideal. When it comes to timing, if you end up taking the DAT in August, plus the 3-4 weeks for your DAT score to be processed, this will put you close to September which is quite late. I would recommend meeting with a pre-dental adviser if you can, and possibly consider applying next cycle. Because the only way you'll be accepted that late is if you get an insane DAT score, which is not realistic to bank on, and even then the chances are low. Best of luck.
Hi, I can tell you only rely on what people say on here.. 20% of student that were enrolled this past year had a DAT of an 18AA. I dont agree with your advice on telling someone not to apply, because my friend for example had 1 waitlist, and 1 interview with a 17AA and a 3.3 GPA. I agree with timing, and I'm still applying this June. Worst case scenario if i dont get in this year, i can retake my DAT next june and have a higher GPA as well. Im still applying as I think anyone should who has even the slightest chance.

Hi, I can tell you only rely on what people say on here.. 20% of student that were enrolled this past year had a DAT of an 18AA. I dont agree with your advice on telling someone not to apply, because my friend for example had 1 waitlist, and 1 interview with a 17AA and a 3.3 GPA. I agree with timing, and I'm still applying this June. Worst case scenario if i dont get in this year, i can retake my DAT next june and have a higher GPA as well. Im still applying as I think anyone should who has even the slightest chance.
Yes you still have a chance of getting in, it is up to you if you want to risk the financial investment.

Reactions: 1 users
Like i said I’m applying realistically to schools with an average of roughly 19.. so it’s not “way below” average.. but okay, thank you.

The average accepted nationwide is around 20 AA, so an 18 does put you at a disadvantage so I’d say retake the DAT. And no need to get offended, this is SDN and most people (me included) won’t sugar coat anything.

I totally agree with you! Unfortunately some people think 23+ is needed to get into dental as it is not true.
Try and see! Btw. where did you friend end up interviewing & going?
Good luck!!

I totally agree with you! Unfortunately some people think 23+ is needed to get into dental as it is not true.
Try and see! Btw. where did you friend end up interviewing & going?
Good luck!!

The “some people” that you may be referring too may have received numerous offers last cycle, so what they have to say does carry some merit.

The “some people” that you may be referring too may have received numerous offers last cycle, so what they have to say does carry some merit.
Absolutely! However, not everyone needs a 23+ to get into dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like with good PS, LOR and extra curriculums, 18 might be just enough to get in. Depending on school, of course![/QUOTE

And state of residency. I feel like that has as much of an impact on an acceptance as a DAT score nowadays

I recommend you contact a few of the dental schools you plan to apply to and ask them whether or not they feel a retake would be necessary/recommended, given your science and overall GPA. Admissions committees at dental schools you are most interested in would be the best in providing you advice in this situation.

Retaking and scoring a 19 AA or higher would definitely increase the strength of your application, so if you believe that's possible, it'd be a good idea. If you do retake your DAT, you may want to wait until next year to apply when your application is stronger. Applying to dental schools can be quite costly, so it is definitely worth checking with schools before you apply to see what they recommend. Good luck to you!