Should I Retake Pre-Reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drumfreek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered Do and am thinking about applying to DO schools within the next two years.

Here are my stats.
Chem 1 - D (retook and got C)
Chem 2 - C
Chem Lab - C
Orgo - F (retook and got C)
Orgo 2 - C+
Physics 1 - C
Physics Lab - B+
Physics 2 - C+
Bio 1 - C+
Bio 2 - (taking now)

I am thinking of retaking pre-reqs, but I only have one summer to do this since I am a junior and would like to apply at the end of senior year. Also I plan on taking higher level science classes next semester.

Also my ECs consist of volunteering at a local hospital (about 50 hours right now), shadowing a physician for about a week, being part of a peer counseling group, and also being part of a sorority. I plan on taking more active roles in these ECs this coming year.

I am a junior and would like to apply to DO schools in spring of senior year. Do you think there is a good possibility of getting in to DO schools if I can get a MCAT score about 27?

Any help is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a lot of C's :eek:

And the D --> C and F --> C don't look good either. If you retook and got A's that would look a lot better.

What's your science gpa right now? You have something near a 2.1 or 2.2 for the pre-reqs. :(

Your outlook at DO schools with almost straight C's in the pre-reqs is very poor. An sGPA of less than 3, particularly in pre-reqs, makes it look like you may be unable to handle the courseload of medical school. With your current stats, even if you got a stellar MCAT (30+), I would not be sanguine about your chances. I'm not sure what you should do in this situation... I would recommend retaking at least half of the re-reqs and get A's in them, but that's a lot of work. It depends on what you're willing to do to get there. Was there a reason you got all of the C's? Were you handling outside problems, or was it just the difficulty of the material?

EDIT: Read one of your old posts. With a 1.98 cumulative GPA, you have 0 chances at DO at the moment. You would need to bring that GPA way up in order to be competitive. Just because it's DO doesn't mean it's "easy" to get in.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The 1.98 sGPA is because I calculated all the grades (including F and D)
Since DO schools replace the grades, I'm pretty sure my sGPA comes up to a 2.3 or so. Also, I included my Calc and Stats grades in it, which I read don't count for DO schools? I have other sciences that count for DO schools that I didn't count in that sGPA either.

Also, I calculated the GPA based on the Drexel SMP application which said that this was how the AMCAS calculated the GPA. I'm not sure if its right or not.

My grades are not a reflection of my actual goals. Since I was not keen on actually becoming a doctor before this year, I was not performing at my best.

If I retake all the classes (and pass them with B or above) would that increase my chances since DO schools replace grades? I know I will be asked about my retakes and I will answer those questions at that time.

I really appreciate your help!
Thank you!

this will be very difficult to do. good luck - i think for any chance, you will need to get A's in any retakes you decide to do.

I suggest you get your science gpa up to a 3.0+ somehow. And they will definitely ask you about a class if you retake it twice.

Btw I had a bunch of C's. But the ones I retook I aced them. So this is a little different. And I think only 1 interview ever asked about my grades (and i got into that school).

If you are taking the effort and money and time to retake classes, PLEASE GET AN A. Otherwise it's not worth retaking it. You want to show the adcoms you understood the information in the class finally.

I suggest you get your science gpa up to a 3.0+ somehow. And they will definitely ask you about a class if you retake it twice.

Btw I had a bunch of C's. But the ones I retook I aced them. So this is a little different. And I think only 1 interview ever asked about my grades (and i got into that school).

If you are taking the effort and money and time to retake classes, PLEASE GET AN A. Otherwise it's not worth retaking it. You want to show the adcoms you understood the information in the class finally.

Yep. This is about the only advice one can give.

I am thinking of retaking pre-reqs, but I only have one summer to do this since I am a junior and would like to apply at the end of senior year. Also I plan on taking higher level science classes next semester.

Alright I just saw this...There is no way you are going to be able to retake enough classes in 1 summer to get a 3.0.

If anything you will have to spend an extra semester or year in college repeating classes to have a chance.

Don't bank on getting a 27+ on the MCAT too. If your required classes didn't go to well, the MCAT might go the same way. :(

It is going to be very hard, but if you are dedicated, it is not impossible.

OP, its definitely possible for you to get into a DO school, but you are definitely going to have to buckle down and shoot for nothing but the best in order to prove that you can handle it. IMHO, you need to take at least 2 semesters of coursework to make this happen. How does the rest of your application look? Do you have in ECs or volunteering experience? Have you shadowed a DO? IF not, I would get on this ASAP.:)

Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate!

I just had a question about retaking classes, if I retake them at a 4-year institution other than my own (since mine doesn't allow retakes unless you have a D or below) after completing graduation would my grades still be replaced? I would just take these classes over the course of the year after completing graduation.
So basically I would retake chem as an undergrad. And physics and o-chem as a post grad. In order to show that I can do the work, I am planning on taking courses like Microbio, Biochem, Parasitology, and such while I am still in undergrad. Would this look good if I pass with B or above?

Also, I plan on taking MCATs only after I do well in these courses.

Another thing, I found a DO through this website that gives you names of licensed DOs in the area, but when I googled him to find his exact address, it said that he was an MD. Should i just go and see him anyway?

You should probably make sure he's a DO...

I know that I shadowed a DO that I thought was an MD the first day I met him (before I knew what a DO was).

Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate!

I just had a question about retaking classes, if I retake them at a 4-year institution other than my own (since mine doesn't allow retakes unless you have a D or below) after completing graduation would my grades still be replaced? I would just take these classes over the course of the year after completing graduation.
So basically I would retake chem as an undergrad. And physics and o-chem as a post grad. In order to show that I can do the work, I am planning on taking courses like Microbio, Biochem, Parasitology, and such while I am still in undergrad. Would this look good if I pass with B or above?

Also, I plan on taking MCATs only after I do well in these courses.

Another thing, I found a DO through this website that gives you names of licensed DOs in the area, but when I googled him to find his exact address, it said that he was an MD. Should i just go and see him anyway?

All undergrad coursework will be counted as such regardless of when and where you take it. I think taking Micro and Biochem (some schools require it) would be beneficial in applying and during medical school.

It's MCAT.:)

would anyone recommend retaking the courses. Then applying to an SMP or 1 year Masters. Then applying to DO schools, or should I try my luck after retaking the basic science courses?

Also, would it be harder for me to get my application reviewed if I apply twice to DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
would anyone recommend retaking the courses. Then applying to an SMP or 1 year Masters. Then applying to DO schools, or should I try my luck after retaking the basic science courses?

Also, would it be harder for me to get my application reviewed if I apply twice to DO schools?

Realistically when you retake a class for DO you should aim higher. I'd recommend retaking all of your below C+ classes and aiming for at least B+'s. Your SGPA needs salvaging and a lot of it. DO isn't some alternative which take people with substandard grades. If you want to go to a DO school its best to have your stats at 3.4 ( science 3.3) +/26+

So I looked at the courses offered at another state school in the area, however, it is too expensive for me to take over the summer.

I am going to have to take the pre-requisites at a community college. Would that look bad since I originally took them at a 4-year institution and now am retaking them at a community college?

My school doesn't let us retake the courses unless we received a D or F in them so my only other option is community college.

Also, if I have unique clinical experience abroad, would that help out my application significantly? I am considering a program abroad where we would get to spend 4 weeks in different settings (rural area, neonatal physicians office, nursing home, and hospital).

Taking pre-reqs at a community college is always a red flag. Especially if you take several classes there.

Taking pre-reqs at a community college is always a red flag. Especially if you take several classes there.

From my experience, I disagree with this statement. I have heard that some people get asked this question during interviews,.... why at a cc? None of my interviewers even mentioned it...and I took most of my pre-reqs at a cc. For some people, it is a financial issue and they should not look negatively at that. But, once again, that is how it worked out for me.

I guess if you explain to them that you took the classes at a CC for financial reasons they would understand. But I've had friends who took classes at a cc and the adcoms didn't seem to like that.

Why don't you call some med schools and ask them?

Check each individual schools admission requirements. I have and I can tell you that all of the DO schools want 3.0+. A lot of people with a lot better grades are applying to these schools and they will get in before someone who performs poorly in academics. Stay focused, get the GPA up, and you may have a fighting chance.

I can see where the adcoms would be worried, though, since the person already took them at a four-year. Wouldn't it look bad for the OP to take them at a CC instead of at another four-year?

IMO, No. But I would contact some schools and get their opinions about the matter.

Geez. With that brown streak I'd think you'd want to retake all of them particularly with AACOMAS grade replacement being on your side. The next prudent thing, in my uninformed opinion (which amounts to nothing), you should take a few more science classes, like physiology, genetics, biochem, or whatever, just to show that, "yeah, I can be successful in courses I've never had before!"

Also, I included my Calc and Stats grades in it, which I read don't count for DO schools?

Where did you read this? First time I've heard of math courses being exempt from sGPA calculation.

Last edited:
Where did you read this? First time I've heard of math courses being exempt from sGPA calculation.

I think for the DO path it's bio, phys, and chem that's included in the sci GPA. I believe the MD path includes the math along with the bio, phys, and chem.

IMO, No. But I would contact some schools and get their opinions about the matter.

I just contacted NOVA and they have nothing against taking courses at a CC. "As long as they are accredited, the grades will be accepted like any other grades."

I also asked if CC grades are looked down upon by the admissions committee. Simple reply, "No."

So like punkmedgirl says, I think retaking a course at a CC is fine. Just be sure you contact the school first.

I think for the DO path it's bio, phys, and chem that's included in the sci GPA. I believe the MD path includes the math along with the bio, phys, and chem.

This is correct. My nutrition classes also counted into my science gpa.

I'm in a similar situation, I can submit my primary 1st day with a 2.86 sgpa and a 3.3 overall or I could wait until last week of June and submit with what will hopefully be a 3.28 sgpa and 3.44 overall.

I'm planning on retaking physics 1 and chem at a CC (financial and transportation issues, and scheduling issues is why it has to be CC), it's gonna be like 8 hours of class/day for 5 weeks but if I get A's, def worth it.

with all the review I am doing for MCAT, i am hoping that these classes shouldn't be too difficult.

what do y'all thing?

plus, I figure, worst case scenario, it's good mcat prep if I end up having to re-take that ugly test.

YIKES. Is there a reason you did so poorly on these classes? I can't understand why you think you'll be able to handle a medical school courseload. I'm just being honest. If you can retake classes and get your cGPA and sGPA > 3.0, you have a shot at DO. But to post all this and not even mention any circumstances or reasons why you have a slew of Cs, plus a D and an F....I don't get it.

YIKES. Is there a reason you did so poorly on these classes? I can't understand why you think you'll be able to handle a medical school courseload. I'm just being honest. If you can retake classes and get your cGPA and sGPA > 3.0, you have a shot at DO. But to post all this and not even mention any circumstances or reasons why you have a slew of Cs, plus a D and an F....I don't get it.

I totally agree. why did you do so poorly? how do you expect to do better in medical school?

So I looked at the courses offered at another state school in the area, however, it is too expensive for me to take over the summer.

I am going to have to take the pre-requisites at a community college. Would that look bad since I originally took them at a 4-year institution and now am retaking them at a community college?

My school doesn't let us retake the courses unless we received a D or F in them so my only other option is community college.

Also, if I have unique clinical experience abroad, would that help out my application significantly? I am considering a program abroad where we would get to spend 4 weeks in different settings (rural area, neonatal physicians office, nursing home, and hospital).

Going over this thread - hopefully you realize that you will not be going straight to med school after undergrad.

Even if you manage to raise your sGPA above 3 with the repeats, the fact that you had to take certain courses THREE TIMES will raise a few eyebrows. Right now there is absolutely no indication that you will succeed in medical school academically. Your highest grade is a lab grade (B+) and your highest nonlab science grade is a C+, with several repeats leading up to a C. Just repeating the courses to bring up your GPA will not convince adcoms that you can handle the academic rigors of medical school. You will definately need more A's in new science courses (and likely a postbac) to repair your GPA and also convince adcoms that you can handle the academic load of medical school.

While I believe that generalization about community colleges/junior colleges should be avoided, we have to look at each individual circumstances through the eyes of admission members (usually they are faculty members of the school along with the admission officers). In this case, if the OP has trouble getting Bs in science classes (even with repeats), but suddenly start getting As on his third attempt but at a community college ... what will go through the mind of faculty members? That's another hurdle the OP will have to overcome. Blanket statements of "community college is bad" or "absolutely no problems with community colleges" should be avoided - but in this case, after dismal performances at a 4-year university, to suddenly do well in the sciences at a CC will raise a few questions

With the MCAT - you will need a good score (but a good score will not overcome a poor GPA). This means you need time to dedicate to studying for this test (and with the urgent GPA repair that you need, you probably won't have time within the next few years). If you get a low MCAT score, it will only confirm to adcoms that accepting you is a risky proposition - that you are at high risk of failing out of medical school, or not passing the boards.

And your "unique" healthcare experience - as of right now, it will not compensate for your academics. There will be PAs, nurses, EMTs, CNAs, ex-military medics, who will be applying to the same schools that you are applying (and in all likelihood have better academic track records). Spending 4 weeks in different settings basically amounts to shadowing, whatever the settings (foreign vs domestic, rural vs urban, etc).

Also check your undergraduate graduation requirement to make sure you make the minimum GPA cutoff for graduation. If you can barely graduate from college, your chances of a medical school admission in the United States are slim to none without some major repair work (and time).

Sorry, but I don't see how you are in any position to be applying to medical schools during your senior year.