Should I retake the DAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDHtoDMD2530

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a dental hygienist of 8 years. My overall GPA is a 3.3 and TS 3.3. I know that is low but my current coursework (bio 1&2, chem 1&2, physics, ochem, and biochem) is a 3.9 GPA. That was over the past year while working part time as a hygienist. Also, I have a baby and a 5 year old. I hope this shows I can handle a rigorous course load, I just wasn't fully matured as a student the first time around. I am so determined to do this. So much so, that I had my baby over spring break and returned to class 5 days later and never missed a class (that was the one B I got). I took the DAT for the first time only studying for 3 weeks over Christmas break and I was 37 weeks pregnant-bad idea. My AA was a 17 :( I wanted to avoid having to take it with a newborn or during the semester. This time I studied after Spring semester (and having my baby) for about 5 weeks and my scores were:
PAT 18
RC 23
Bio 18
QR 15 -ran out of time, so bad :(
Ochem 16 I know this is bad too
Chem 23
AA 19

Do you think I have any chance with my stats or should I retake the DAT for a 3rd time!? I hope being a hygienist for 8 years helps. I really don't want to retake it. Also, I am finishing my Bachleors so my GPA should only go up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think because the OC is 16 you may have to retake. Most schools have a cut-off for scores at 17 and are heavily enforced on the sciences. The 15 QR isn't really too big of an issue, many schools don't pay attention to it. Your best bet would be to call a few schools you're interested in and ask them for advice on what to do.

When are you planning on applying?