Should i retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl9393

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I definitely need some feedbacks here on my scores.
I took my DAT the 2nd time last August and my scores were,
PA: 20
QR: 19
RC: 16 ( i know i know D: )
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 20
TS: 19
AA: 18

My science GPA was a 3.3/ 3.4 and overall GPA was a 3.5.

I had plenty of dental volunteering activities throughout college and am currently working as a dental assistant. I am not too worried about my extracurricular activities but should I retake my DAT? What are my chances if i dont?

Will appreciate any feedback!
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need to? No. Do you want to? Probably not. Will it help your chances to get in the 19-21AA range? Sure. You would still have great shots at many schools without a retake.

I would say yes to a retake (I'm SORRY :(), the AVERAGE DAT score in America is a 17AA which means your slightly above that. With a 3.3/3.4 GPA I think you'd want to prove yourself more with a higher DAT score.

This is all speculation and my thoughts so take that with a grain of salt (but also depends on where you apply!!). Keeping mind, some schools might sift you out just based on their minimum scores they require to even be looked at.

Either way, best of luck!!!

There's a chance that maybe some school will accept you, but it's unlikely primarily due to the low reading score. Take it again when you're 100% ready , you can do this :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reading score is most highly correlated to success in dental school. It is one of the more important scores. You absolutely should retake, 16 is too low.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything below 19aa 19ts or 19pat is below standard in my opinion...but you may be able to land a spot in a new and expensive private, GL.

Last edited: