Should I retake the MCAT/ Where do I have a chance right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tansky

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my tests results back for the MCAT. 506, I did well everywhere and bombed CARS. I was wondering if I should consider retaking, or if I have a good shot at any schools right now. Willing to take a shot anywhere in the continental US, I refuse to go to the Caribbean as it sounds like a hellhole.

Caucasian Male, Texas
3.65 GPA (Upward trend)/ 506 MCAT
Four year student athlete (football)
Supervisor at a group home
Shadowed two doctors
One full year of research with submitted work
Various volunteering
I have a job interview at a research lab and if that doesn't pan out I was planning on becoming a Scribe

What are my next steps moving forward? This is very frustrating because I was testing well on CARS in the practice exams but I felt myself losing concentration in the actual thing. My other 3 sections ranged from 70-85 percentile with CARS at 45. I would really not like to take this exam again but if I have to I will. If DO is my best bet I am not above that as it seems that it doesn't really matter in the long run but I may be wrong. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine for any DO school, but chances for MD will still be best in TX, especially with a retake.
So you are recommending a retake? Would you recommend I apply next cycle just to see or prepare the retake as early as possible. God my head is kind of spinning right now lol.

CARS was a 124 I believe btw.

If you really want MD, retaking will increase your chances significantly if you improve. As it stands though, you're competitive for most DO schools and the lower end Texas MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
So you are recommending a retake? Would you recommend I apply next cycle just to see or prepare the retake as early as possible. God my head is kind of spinning right now lol.

CARS was a 124 I believe btw.
Invest in MSAR and see where your MCAT falls in the 10-90th %iles for the TX schools. You're DOA for schools outside of TX. If you're > the 10th %iles, then you're fine.

If you really want MD, retaking will increase your chances significantly if you improve. As it stands though, you're competitive for most DO schools and the lower end Texas MD schools.
Ok, thank you. Retaking seems like a scary thought right now tbh I want to weigh my options. How much does applying out of state impact whether you get accepted because I am not against applying all over. If I choose to go DO or lower MD will that significantly impair my ability to get matched with a solid residency if I crush the USMLE? What resource can I use to see what the "lower end" MD schools are?

Thank you

What were your scores in AAMC FL practice tests? Applying this cycle or next?

Invest in MSAR and see where your MCAT falls in the 10-90th %iles for the TX schools. You're DOA for schools outside of TX. If you're > the 10th %iles, then you're fine.
Bought MSAR, there are a few MD schools in Texas that I am > the 10th percentile with deadlines coming up quick. The application cycle opened in May, do you think at this point it would be too late to apply?

Fls ranged from 509-514. I am not sure when to apply tbh it is very late at this point.
I believe it's not late for DO. If you are OK with DO apply and as Goro said your scores should be fine. If you want MD, I guess you need to prep again and try to get practice test scores above 515 before retaking.

I believe it's not late for DO. If you are OK with DO apply and as Goro said your scores should be fine. If you want MD, I guess you need to prep again and try to get practice test scores above 515 before retaking.
I was just reading the MD vs DO thread and it sounds like it may be in my best interest to retake. Honestly, at least I know what I am getting into and where I went wrong this time around. I was testing really well on CARS but I had a lull in the middle of the test from test fatigue/anxiety.

Thank you both for the help. All I can do now is put my head down and keep trying.

I was just reading the MD vs DO thread and it sounds like it may be in my best interest to retake. Honestly, at least I know what I am getting into and where I went wrong this time around. I was testing really well on CARS but I had a lull in the middle of the test from test fatigue/anxiety.

Thank you both for the help. All I can do now is put my head down and keep trying.
Did you have test fatigue/anxiety before (i.e. SAT/ACT etc..)? Unfortunately for some it's consistent and score below their practice scores so you need to factor that into when deciding on retake.

Did you have test fatigue/anxiety before (i.e. SAT/ACT etc..)? Unfortunately for some it's consistent and score below their practice scores so you need to factor that into when deciding on retake.
Actually its not something I have ever dealt with before. I think I just got mentally drained and realized I was losing focus, which led to anxiety. In my 2 months of preparation I lost a family member and had a health scare so that has led to some newfound anxiety but I am getting over it. I spent so much of my time on CP and BB because I felt really weak in those areas (I was) and I ended up scoring 85 and 80, respectively so I think I should be able to retain a lot and I am proud of those scores. I was fortunate to not work for two months but I just scheduled an interview with a genetics lab ( which I think will be great on a resume... I hope lol) and so that wont be an option anymore.

Damn I have this feeling like I just wasted so much time and I aint getting that **** back.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. If I want to pursue my dream to become a surgeon it is looking like I will have to retake, considering how many applicants there are this year it may not be the worst thing to wait until the next cycle. More time to get better.

Actually its not something I have ever dealt with before. I think I just got mentally drained and realized I was losing focus, which led to anxiety. In my 2 months of preparation I lost a family member and had a health scare so that has led to some newfound anxiety but I am getting over it. I spent so much of my time on CP and BB because I felt really weak in those areas (I was) and I ended up scoring 85 and 80, respectively so I think I should be able to retain a lot and I am proud of those scores. I was fortunate to not work for two months but I just scheduled an interview with a genetics lab ( which I think will be great on a resume... I hope lol) and so that wont be an option anymore.

Damn I have this feeling like I just wasted so much time and I aint getting that **** back.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. If I want to pursue my dream to become a surgeon it is looking like I will have to retake, considering how many applicants there are this year it may not be the worst thing to wait until the next cycle. More time to get better.
Taking gap year and retaking MCAT after some additional prep while getting additional research experience seems like a good plan. GL!