Should I retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmockingbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the May 20th MCAT and just got my scores back today. I got a 29T - 11V, 9BS, 9PS. I'm happy with the verbal and obviously with the writing section. I'm not in love with my science scores but I think I could be OK with what I got. I thought I did worse on bio, and I am very weak in chem, so it balances out.
Studying - I worked on an MCAT book all semester, not terribly consistently, but I am not a long-term studier at all. I studied intensely for the two weeks before the test. I'm honestly not sure how much I could improve just knowing how I operate and my previous performance in science classes.
I have a 3.89 gpa, I think 3.8 bcpm (it might be like 3.78 or something close to that). I'm an English major, so that put me at an advantage for those sections of the MCAT.
I am an Ohio resident so I am applying to all the Ohio schools. I'm also applying to the Jesuit schools because I am at a Jesuit undergrad so we were advised to apply to all of those, for school preference (not sure how true this is, although we do get a guaranteed interview at our school, but I also figured I would like the environment since I like my undergrad). I'm not applying to anywhere like Harvard or really far-reaching.
Would you recommend retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

Studying - I worked on an MCAT book all semester, not terribly consistently, but I am not a long-term studier at all. I studied intensely for the two weeks before the test. I'm honestly not sure how much I could improve just knowing how I operate and my previous performance in science classes.

What were your practice test scores? If you weren't averaging much higher than a 29, I'm not quite sure what a retake would accomplish.