Should I retake these classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDarkNeuron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a semester at my old university in 2009 and got terrible grades it was 13 credits of all non science and very easy classes, but I didnt go due to bad family problems my GPA that semester was a 0.85, since then I have done well, my science gpa is a 3.39 now but this semester dropped my cumulative down to a 3.25. I don't have my mcat scores back yet, but I was wondering is it worth retaking these classes i took 5 years ago? or wiill that be a waste of thousands of dollars? I have taken many upperlevel science classes and done well.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean if you could even fit in a couple into your schedule it can have pretty dramatic effects on your GPA which can have pretty dramatic effects on where you have a shot at applying to.

How were your MCAT practice tests (the AAMC ones)?
What courses did you bomb?
What is your rough GPA trend by year in college?

My AAMC averages were right at around 28-30, (except i did bad on AAMC 11 and got a 23, i think i was burned out) My actual mcat felt difficult, but i am really hoping it went ok
I have done well the last 4 years in college I have been on the deans list since 2010 and have done well in upperlevel science classes (genetics, biochem, advanced biochem, currently in neuro bio)
The courses I bombed were: Chorus (haha), micro economics, some computer class, and another one I forget. I could retake them all in a semester, but I would have to go back to that school because the credit hours were 4 credit hours as opposed to 3 each.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying this cycle? Have you graduated yet?

If you bust out a 27-29 I would say dont worry about it. It sucks to have any bad grades, but if they were super early on and they arent in science classes and if the rest of your application is good then you should be fine.

Lets say you graduate with a 3.3-3.4 GPA, a 28 MCAT, and apply early next cycle to 10-15 DO schools. I would be shocked if you didnt get in somewhere. There are people this current cycle with worse numbers who already have a handful of interviews lined up.

If you end up with a 25 or something on the MCAT, then maybe try and retake a couple courses just to boost the GPA. The idea is to go in having a fairly balanced application. Sometimes a high MCAT can carry you through, or maybe a high GPA could carry you through, or you could have average scores in both and thats good too. The main point is to not go in with both a bad gpa AND MCAT, then things just become a little more of a gamble.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice!! I would like to apply this cycle, I didn't realize how long the application process takes. I am graduating after this semester with my degree in biology and a degree in psychology. Ideally I would like to apply this cycle, but if not I would apply next cycle. I am not sure if my app would be updated in time if I retake the classes I did bad in next semester?

If I was in your shoes here is what I would do...

Finish this semester strong, I mean kill those courses - straight A's if you can. Any kind of GPA boost is awesome.

Apply next cycle. That way its like you have all of spring to keep working on extracurriculars, keep beefing up that application. Give yourself time to write a killer personal statement, pre-write your secondaries, get all of your letters of recommendation stuff in order, then apply day 1 next cycle. When secondaries start coming out, get them back like that day and get your letters to the schools early. Use the rest of your time to relax, save up some money, etc.

Do I think you could get into a school this cycle? I do. But I think it will add a lot of undesired stress, and I think that you could get into a better school if you apply right in the beginning next cycle. But that is just me, thats what I ended up doing and I havent regretted it one bit. I graduated winter of 2012. So I had all of spring 2013, then all of last year, and now this upcoming year (my final gap year). It was the best decision that I could have made. Instead of throwing all my stuff together and getting stuff in late and not having a clue what I was doing and where I was applying to. I spent the spring after graduation working as a medical assistant. And then spent all of this last gap year getting everything in order. I spent a lot of time carefully choosing 10 schools, got my letters of rec in order, got a sweet job at a medical school, wrote a solid personal statement and pre wrote most of my secondaries, and took some time outside of school to explore the real world a bit. I have been able to relax a bit, pick up some hobbies, save up a little money for this process (its expensive as crap). Again, best decision I could have made. I applied early this cycle to 10 schools. So far I have received secondaries from all 10 schools, and have interviews at 4 so far. Being early and on top of things will surely help me get into a better school, as well as give me more choice in which school I eventually attend, than if I had just thrown my application together as I was finishing up school.

Obviously you can take your own path and do anything you want, I just figured I would share my own experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Heck you could then retake a couple of those courses in the spring and really boost that GPA up. You would be sitting pretty with like a 3.5-3.6 and a 28 MCAT.

If I was in your shoes here is what I would do...

Finish this semester strong, I mean kill those courses - straight A's if you can. Any kind of GPA boost is awesome.

Apply next cycle. That way its like you have all of spring to keep working on extracurriculars, keep beefing up that application. Give yourself time to write a killer personal statement, pre-write your secondaries, get all of your letters of recommendation stuff in order, then apply day 1 next cycle. When secondaries start coming out, get them back like that day and get your letters to the schools early. Use the rest of your time to relax, save up some money, etc.

Do I think you could get into a school this cycle? I do. But I think it will add a lot of undesired stress, and I think that you could get into a better school if you apply right in the beginning next cycle. But that is just me, thats what I ended up doing and I havent regretted it one bit. I graduated winter of 2012. So I had all of spring 2013, then all of last year, and now this upcoming year (my final gap year). It was the best decision that I could have made. Instead of throwing all my stuff together and getting stuff in late and not having a clue what I was doing and where I was applying to. I spent the spring after graduation working as a medical assistant. And then spent all of this last gap year getting everything in order. I spent a lot of time carefully choosing 10 schools, got my letters of rec in order, got a sweet job at a medical school, wrote a solid personal statement and pre wrote most of my secondaries, and took some time outside of school to explore the real world a bit. I have been able to relax a bit, pick up some hobbies, save up a little money for this process (its expensive as crap). Again, best decision I could have made. I applied early this cycle to 10 schools. So far I have received secondaries from all 10 schools, and have interviews at 4 so far. Being early and on top of things will surely help me get into a better school, as well as give me more choice in which school I eventually attend, than if I had just thrown my application together as I was finishing up school.

Obviously you can take your own path and do anything you want, I just figured I would share my own experience.

Hey thank you so much for the response, man I cant tell you how much I appreciate it - a break like that does sound pretty nice (I graduated HS in 08 and have been in college this whole time) I did a linemen certificate program for a year as well. I was just curious - do you think it would be beneficial to apply to one school? I REALLY want to go to LECOM because it is close to my hometown, and if I got accepted into there, I would most likely take it over the other classes. Also, if I do well this semester, it will bring my gpa's up a little, would the schools see that ? i update my class info when I get my grades and it gets sent to the school right? Thank yo so much again for all the help !

EDIT: I forgot to mention - say I took all the classes I did bad in this spring semester, would that help my chances at all for this cycle or would it be too late for them to get them in time for a decision to be made ?

If you want to go to one of the LECOMs in PA you might have a shot this cycle. Get a DO letter and get that app in stat. LECOM is not crazy competitive so assuming you get a decent MCAT I would dare to say you have a fair shot if you get that ball rolling like now.

The classes in the spring would likely be too late to make an appreciable different on this cycle.

So yea if you think you can get your ducks in a row very very soon and have the app be decent, I say go for it. But stay the course and keep up with your backup plan which would be to apply next cycle with better grades and right when the season opens.

LECOM starts interviewing ridiculously early. So worst comes to worst, if it doesn't work out this cycle, you could know by like next September if you apply early next cycle. And if you keep working on classes and a couple ECs, then that's a decent update to apply a second time, again if it doesn't work out.

But as far as I have known, LECOM doesn't have crazy high stats to get in and their interview season is very long, so I think you really might have a shot

My original advice more or less applies if you were trying to get into one of the "top tier" DO or even dabble into some MD (depending on your MCAT and course retakes).

Ok I definitely will !!! thanks again for the advice I truly appreciate it! congrats on your interviews!!!